Debur media, vibrating

You guys have raised a question I am curious about.

What are the differences in the results or function of a tumbler vs a vibratory aside from their construction? I am of the belief that the both do the same thing.

I think you're probably right - if we're only considering dry media. The SS pins are used with soap and water, hence the requirement of a water tight drum. There may be other wet polishing compounds out there as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

You guys have raised a question I am curious about.

What are the differences in the results or function of a tumbler vs a vibratory aside from their construction? I am of the belief that the both do the same thing.

I don't have any personal experience with rotary tumblers but from what I've been told is that rotary is better for deburring & vibratory is better for finishing. Rotary is much slower in producing the resulf which makes sense as you might not always want certain parts deburred with a fast action to reduce wear in areas that you don't want.

I have vibratory tumblers cause I tumble mostly for finish & not so much for deburring. Some knife makers actually use cement mixers for tumbling.

I think you're probably right - if we're only considering dry media. The SS pins are used with soap and water, hence the requirement of a water tight drum. There may be other wet polishing compounds out there as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

I could be wrong but I believe rotary tumblers are normally ran wet. With walnut shells, corn corb, etc you run them dry but I always see these media being used in vibratory tumblers. I mainly use ceramic & plastic media & I always run them wet for better results.

The ceramic in dawn soppy water , or lemie shine, something that deburs and cleans
In the vibrator

Soap is essential for better results. They do sell solutions specific for this application but it can get expensive. I used to use dishwashing soap. One day I was lazy so I decided to try liquid pumice hand cleaner as I keep it in the garage. That's all I use now (with water of course) & it works much better for me.

I used to use a rotary tumbler I built to debur some aluminum gear castings. Bought a box of black grit from harbor freight and it worked great. Took a couple days but I could do other things while the parts were deburring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back