Debur media, vibrating

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all, looking to get something to debur , polish, remove sharp edges on these in a vibrating case cleaner.
I was thinking ceramic triangles 3/16 -1/4" , as I don't want them getting stuck inside.
any better ideas ?
IMG_0843.JPG
Thanks

These are going to be bottle openers, the milled portion is sharp has burs , some of the cases are dirty inside. Looking for a way to debur ,clean , polish easily got a few hundred to do,
Any better ideas ? here's a better pic , 50bmg, 308
Thanks
IMG_0846.JPG

Those are pretty cool. I thought it was a whistle at first but the cutout is on the wrong end for it to work. Hard to tell from the pic but I assume they are brass being shell casings? You may need to use 2 different types of media though, one for deburring & another for polishing.

I use coarse ceramic mainly for a stoned wash finish on grade 5 titanium but it deburs fast as well. I use a combination of v-cylindrical & triangular. Coarse cermaic would not be the right choice for those shell casings. I've used the coarse ceramic on aluminum & it gives a bead blast appearance. The coarse is fast acting so I only tumble for about 30 mins. Extra fine ceramic is used for polishing but I've never used it & can't say how it works. I suspect it won't get out all the fine scratches.

I use plastic pyramids for deburing aluminum. I let it run overnight. The coarse ceramic will debur fast but I don't like the result. I also have green rouge impregnated walnut that I use for polishing as well as corn cob. These media work very slow, they don't debur well & not at all on harder metals. I've never used the corn cob, I got it for free with a small tumbler I bought used at a gun show. May want to check with the reloader guys, I believe walnut & corn cob is what they use for polishing

For cleaning/polishing brass I use the stainless steel media in a tumbler.

Will - for aluminum are you using a rotary or vibratory tumbler? What size plastic pyramids are you using for aluminum?

I also use the stainless steel pins for brass. It requires a rotary tumbler with a water tight drum though. It won't work in a vibratory tumbler. The polish it puts on the brass is excellent - inside and out. I don't know how well it would deburr.

T.J.
I have SS pins and tumbler for reloading but this is different ,just wanting to debur sharp edges and a little cleaning

Will - for aluminum are you using a rotary or vibratory tumbler? What size plastic pyramids are you using for aluminum?

I currently only have vibratory tumblers, an 18lb size & two 5lb size. I'd like to get a rotary or build one in addition to using the vibratory type.

The plastic pyramids I use are the smallest size commonly available, I believe they are 1/4". Pretty much all of the parts I tumble are small & the 1/4" stays out of small holes.

T.J.
I have SS pins and tumbler for reloading but this is different ,just wanting to debur sharp edges and a little cleaning

In that case the ceramic should do that with no problem & pretty quick too.

I'll take them to the buffing wheel after

You guys have raised a question I am curious about.

What are the differences in the results or function of a tumbler vs a vibratory aside from their construction? I am of the belief that the both do the same thing.

Back