Cylindrical Grinder Question

I have to agree with Brino here.

Going to the manager can just open a huge can of worms, and the only way to put the worms back will be to replace you.
What the manager will see is that every one else gets the machine to work. At best you will be viewed as a drama queen.

The fact they keep insisting that you are messing with it while they are not looking either means they are hazing you, or they want you fired.
If you are getting hazed and create a scene over it with the manager, you can expect to find random problems with you work and machines every time you come back from the bathroom. Failing to take a good joke like a "man" is just a good way to become the outlet for every one else's frustration. I have seen people get sabotaged in some pretty horrible ways over the years.

Pick the person whose opinion every one will trust, and that will be the most sympathetic to your trouble. Bribe him if you need to, but get him to come over and make a judgement. Then have that person go to the right person to get the problem dealt with. He will either stop the hazing, or get you a pass to use the machine as best as possible.

It can be surprisingly easy to earn the ire of co-workers. I was once heavily recruited by a BMW dealership for my experience with older models. I started at the same pay scale as someone who had 5 years of seniority. If that did not anger the other guys enough, I was put in the highest performing team. I went home most days just after lunch, and made more than 3/4 of the other techs. When I saw two of the guys talking in low tones and glancing my way, I wandered over and told them a story (I made the story up) about how I seriously hurt a guy at another shop when I caught him trying to steal some of my work orders (mechanics get paid by the job). I would verbally spar with a few of the guys there after that, but no one every tried to put my job in jeopardy. Once they realized they would never have to tune another v12 as long as I worked there, they mostly got all chummy. Sometimes you just have to convince people that you are either mean enough or crazy enough to make it not worth their while to make you a target. Likewise, when I hire someone to work on my house, I buy them lunch and tell them the (true) story about how I almost shot my best friend when he snuck into my house in the middle of the night so he could sleep of a drunken binge.

Hopefully it is just good natured hazing.

We have an old Landis grinder at the shop and it has it's issues as well.

As for hazing or lack of respect. Throwing a cylinder head at a fellow loud mouth got their attention and I had no more issues. One of the older mechanics had thrown a large wrench in frustration of loud mouth as well. When it bounced off three of the four wall of the garage, things got really quiet.

They are right. New guy gets the blame.

I had a Fadal release the tool holder at about 9800 rpm one morning, bouncing around inside the machine for a good 10 seconds. You wanna talk about LOUD. Apparently that sound means "Everyone stop what your doing and see what happened." I'd only been there about 7 months, so everyone was saying I hit the Tool Release when it was running. So they put me elsewhere for the day.

The best sound ever was a couple of hours later when it again with an "old hand" running the Fadal.

They are right. New guy gets the blame.

I had a Fadal release the tool holder at about 9800 rpm one morning, bouncing around inside the machine for a good 10 seconds. You wanna talk about LOUD. Apparently that sound means "Everyone stop what your doing and see what happened." I'd only been there about 7 months, so everyone was saying I hit the Tool Release when it was running. So they put me elsewhere for the day.

The best sound ever was a couple of hours later when it again with an "old hand" running the Fadal.

I used to work with fadal mills, one time my mill was traversing to the left and went right through the wall of the mill.

We have an old Landis grinder at the shop and it has it's issues as well.

As for hazing or lack of respect. Throwing a cylinder head at a fellow loud mouth got their attention and I had no more issues. One of the older mechanics had thrown a large wrench in frustration of loud mouth as well. When it bounced off three of the four wall of the garage, things got really quiet.

My first day there I blacked out my first two 50 inch rolls,no problem, no help, all of a sudden I'm having issues. Hmmmmm.

Sounds like you "old and green" cylindrical grinder is about to explode apart.... Starting with the spindle. Must be so old it has sleeve bearings, just an guess. Something may have broken loose in the spindle causing it to move around , gouging the work piece. (Didn't say the diameter of the rolls, if you did, I missed it.) Most of them old grinders, from the few I've actually seen, and some of them torn down being rebuilt, they have a deep vee and flat the table rides on. The vee may have worn to the point that it is riding on the point of the vee, allowing the table to wobble side to side. Again just an WAG. No way if knowing without placing dial indicators on the main frame of the grinder and checking side play by pushing side to side with a long big bar attached to the table. Do this at each end of the bed of the grinder to the table. If you got .005", that would be too much! What kind of oiling system is the grinder setup with for oiling the slides? When was the last time it was fed some lubricating oil?

Strapped a stick of tnt to it, lit it and went home to play with my son.......... :) no, but seriously, I fixed the wobble in the drive hub, it's held on to the drive spindle with a set screw and a step key. The step key was just old and used for way too long. People had over tightened the screw in so many spots that the screw didn't have a flat surface and just dug in until it made the drive hub sit crooked. I replaced the step key and problem solved. I almost quit because they told me there was nothing wrong with it and the wobble didn't affect the work. After grinding on one roll for 5 hours and having it still out of round by a thou no matter what, they decided to let me see what I could do, it was fix it or I lose my job. It took me 5 minutes to get the roll round after that. Now I don't even want the damn job, but, I'm a dad now, so I'll find another job first, then quit. :) They seem to be in denial still that there was ever a problem. Crazy. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Back