Cylindrical Grinder Question

I fixed the wobble in the drive hub, it's held on to the drive spindle with a set screw and a step key. The step key was just old and used for way too long. People had over tightened the screw in so many spots that the screw didn't have a flat surface and just dug in until it made the drive hub sit crooked. I replaced the step key and problem solved.

Excellent! You investigated the issue, found the problem and implemented the solution.

After grinding on one roll for 5 hours and having it still out of round by a thou no matter what, they decided to let me see what I could do, it was fix it or I lose my job. It took me 5 minutes to get the roll round after that. Now I don't even want the damn job, but, I'm a dad now, so I'll find another job first, then quit.

Whoa! Don't be too hasty.....
Hopefully this incident has proven to the company that you are a valuable resource. You did NOT just throw up yours hands and quit when the going was tough. You believed there was a machine problem, and stuck with it against the prevailing wisdom of some other employees and then proved yourself correct.
To me you have earned some respect.

They seem to be in denial still that there was ever a problem. Crazy.

Your best way forward is now to produce quality parts with a low cycle time. It may take some time to prove to the others that once the machine was repaired it IS possible to do so. Now bang them out as best you can, and put this behind you.

Good Luck, I am routing for you!

-brino

Back