Cylinder Square?

walterwoj

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to get a surface plate set up so I can do some real precision work with my surface grinder. One of my first projects will be checking the squareness of my vises and fixing them. I know that in order to find if 2 surfaces are truly perpendicular I need a reference. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive reference object? I have looks at cylinder squares but the price is a bit much... Can I use a granite square?

Or .... since cylinder squares are self proving ... can I make one? :eek:

Depends. High end vises aren't likely to be square in all dimensions. Sure, the bed is square, but the jaws might have drafts to the angles so that they are only square when the vise is tightened with something in it. Just saying to look before you leap.

I bought a chinese import granite surface from KBC. It's probably as good as the pink Starretts I've let go at auctions, seeing as how it was only in my budget to buy those used. In this case, of worn american tool vs. new china tool, I went the china route. It's a slab of rock, so well within chindustry's abilities to produce.

One of our members made a cylinder square and documented his procedure for proving it out in the last month or two, it might be worth searching for the thread.

@pontiac428 I Searched for it here but didn't find it, I did look on yt and found some info on it.

Does anyone know what that minimum tooling I would need to do cylindrical grinding on the surface grinder is? Or should I do it on the lathe with a tool post grinder?

I looked for the other post as well and either didn’t find it or found it but I was expecting something different. Anyway, I just ran across this article on making a reference square from scratch. You may find it interesting…

-frank

I looked for the other post as well and either didn’t find it or found it but I was expecting something different. Anyway, I just ran across this article on making a reference square from scratch. You may find it interesting…

-frank

Thanks for this Frank!

It was @dkemppai who did it, he posted on project of the day but I thought he posted elsewhere too:

Back