Cutting Oil

About the only sulfurized cutting oil I have found is the Oakley Dark that I can get at Home Depot. Even the Rigid dark stuff no longer contains sulfur. My grandfather had a gallon of really dark oil that stank to high heaven. I couldn't imagine why he had it. Now, many years later, I do, because it was his cutting oil and probably contained both sulfur and chlorine compounds - somethings that the EPA is frowning on nowadays. I don't know how much longer I will be able to get the Oakley with the sulfur in it.

About the only sulfurized cutting oil I have found is the Oakley Dark that I can get at Home Depot. Even the Rigid dark stuff no longer contains sulfur. My grandfather had a gallon of really dark oil that stank to high heaven. I couldn't imagine why he had it. Now, many years later, I do, because it was his cutting oil and probably contained both sulfur and chlorine compounds - somethings that the EPA is frowning on nowadays. I don't know how much longer I will be able to get the Oakley with the sulfur in it.

There has been talk for years about reformulating the Oatey thread cutting oil. rather than take a chance that it would be pulled from the shelves I purchased a case of 1 quart bottles. I still have a fair amount left, but I do hope something better comes along before the current formula is discontinued.

Like MrWhoopee I don't use flood or mist. We used it where I worked, and while it did a fine job I hated the rancid smell, and the fact that the reservoirs had to be cleaned on a regular basis.

The beauty of modern coolant is that it will basically evaporate before it becomes a problem. Well, for hobby use anyway, which typically only uses a few gallons in the tank.

I use Kool-Rite 2290 at home, and Trim Micro-Sol 585XT at work. Never a bad smell to be had. We do change it at work when it gets dirty, but never have I experienced the traditional rancid characteristics.

I prefer these fluids over anything else, but alas ... I am too cheap to buy it, so I use sparingly. A gallon of coolant concentrate will only last me about 4 mos (fog buster on the mill, and 2G flood on my lathe). I probably machine more often than the average hobbyist, though.

One suggestion given by an "aged codger with three fingers" was mineral oil. Not for tapping, but everything else. I have not the extensive experience to argue, nor have I tried rigid experimentation. Seems to work.

I don't want my mistake to be yours...I found some great stuff...thick, Like This Old Tony's. Loved it, used it many times, here's the part I am warning you. MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T SAY TO USE xxx AND CLEAN UP ANY RESIDUE. I mean you should clean your machines after use, but that you CAN'T do later/next morning is bad. Stained my almost brand new Kurt DX6 vice, the ways and compound on my G00602... Careful!

One of my customers makes cutting oil and wire drawing lubricants, I have oil for steel, aluminum, brass and stainless steel along with numerous tapping fluids. I just drilled 450+, 3/16” holes in stainless steel nipples, using a single 3/16’ stub bit, the last 20 or so holes were a struggle, using their stainless steel cutting fluid, a quick flick on the bit with an acid brush, after each hole.

Back