Cutting Oil

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been using Tap Magic as a cutting oil besides for tapping. I've been watching "This Old Tony" and he seems to be using a much thicker cutting oil.

What does everyone use?

I've been wondering what ToT uses but only because of the viscosity at times. I don't think he has actually mentioned what he uses but he has mentioned that it gets like that due to the temperature of his area/shop at times of the year. I know he does use sulfur based oil but not sure if the one he normally shows in his videos is that. I'm used to sulfur based oils to being much darker. I love the sound effects he uses when squirting the cutting oil.

cutting oil is on the surface. the tool engages the material below the surface. just something to ponder

I use TapMagic for every cutting tool use, except cast iron and aluminum

I needed to get some cutting oil in a hard-to-reach place on a part I was milling. I couldn't reach it with my normal cutting oil container, so I used my squirt oil can that had way oil in it. I got the idea because it looked a lot like what ToT uses in his videos. It seemed to work pretty well.

I've started to use TapMagic xtra thick:

https://www.amazon.com/Tap-Magic-70016T-Xtra-Thick/dp/B07CMH5GJQ

And, at one point I happened to have clicked on some industrial syringes:

And the combination works great. Squirt very precise drops just where I want. No waste. The stuff is consistency of honey.

Mind you, I am a beginner. Given all the fluids and materials and cutting tools, I have no idea what is actually good.

-Bill

A few years ago there was a local garage closing. He offered me a really old 5 gallon steel pail of cutting oil for I think $20. Was using up a gallon of Ridgid pipe threading oil so didn't try if for a couple of years. Went to pour some out into a container to use, the blackest oil I ever saw came out, smelled like old engine oil. I laughed thinking he pawned off a pail of old diesel engine oil. Turns out its the best cutting oil I've ever used. Taps literally freewheel as they go through steel. Probably never be able to replace it. Gives off an awful smoke though when I use it on the mill or lathe but gives a nice finish

Greg

For steel I use Monarch Klir-Cut 2 Cutting Oil.
I can find it locally at the hardware store in the isle with the black pipe......it's used for threading that pipe.

-brino

I have been using "rigid" brand threading oil , same purpose for threading pipe.

Works well and is quite economical.

For general purpose cutting I've been using Oatey Dark Threading oil. It works great for just about everything. The downside is that it does have Sulphur in it so it does stink.

Back