Cutting Oil

If using Mobilmet 766 for cutting metal on a lathe was an issue, you would definitely have heard about it by now...

Noted, so I can use the mobilmet I already have guilt free.

Any opinions on using water based cutting fluids and possible corrosion of items due to water? Or is that not really an issue? I have a gallon bottle of some water based fluid in addition to the Mobilmet. I believe it is called Tap Free.

The warning on yellow metals is likely due to an EP (extreme pressure) additive. It has been a while since I read about it, but IIRC enclosed gearboxes and elevated temperatures is where most of the problems with EP additive manifest themselves. As a cutting oil the worst you would probably see is some staining -- IIRC!

You should use up the Tapfree as well. Here is their website:
http://tapfree.com/productinfo.html

You are using these lubricants as cutting fluids on the parts you are machining, not on working parts of your lathe/miss/etc. Short term contact with copper based metals, brass etc. will cause no harm if you clean the parts after you cut them. I haven't found a need to use a lubricant on brass/bronze yet. I do use WD40 on aluminum on occasion, one of the only things I use WD40 for actually.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I only use oil when cutting threads or a fly cutter on the mill. Steel gets 90/10 oil/kerosene %aluminum gets 10/90. Those are precision measured by eye to make sure the mix is correct. My bandsaw always cuts dry anymore. But if I was going to use something out seems water works the best. I do blow some air once in a while.

A water based coolant that is soluble oil will pose no threat of corrosion if the mixture is oil rich, the water evaporates and leaves the oil behind, on everything I might add. A very light oil content may well lead to rust on steel machine components.
A 90% water/10% oil mixture is an excellent coolant yet a poor lubricant, a 70% water/30% oil mix is a less efficient coolant but a much better lubricant. The use of either is dependent on conditions, does the process require more cooling or more lubrication? Choose wisely.

I would not use soluble coolant for tapping, non aggressive single point threading I do with coolant.

Thanks everyone.

Seems that no one is using any oil with their bandsaw and they cut dry. As I said in the OP, I currently use 3:1 oil (couple of drops). Is there a reason others don't do this? My saw seems to cut good dry, I just figured a little oil might help keep the heat down and help it cut a little better, extending the life of the blade.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone, you think I have questions now, wait until I actually get the lathe fired up....

Too bad your not near me here in Northern Utah, I have a gallon (nearly full) of the Mobil 1 766 that I would give you as I don't care for it much.

Matter of fact if anyone is in northern Utah, contact me and you can come and get it.

Please don't contact me to ship as I don't want to deal with the UPS crap of shipping liquids again.

Mike.

Back