Cutting Oil

abrace

Registered
Registered
All,

I need to get some cutting oil and am not sure what everyone would recommend. I have the Grizzly g4003g lathe that has yet to be started up and the harbor freight 4x6 bandsaw.

For the bandsaw I have been using 3 in 1 oil, which works to some extent, but I would like to have 1 cutting oil for everything.

None of my systems have flood coolant/pumps so it is oil that is just brushed or squirted on the metal. I would like something safe for yellow metals just in case.

I don't have anything against water based coolants but am concerned it may rust my bandsaw blade or other components/tooling if it isn't cleaned up completely well.

What does everyone recommend?

A few days ago I bought a quart of Thread Cutting Oil from my local Ace Hardware. It seems to work OK in all metals I have tried it on, both drilling and tapping. Have not used it for other cutting, but it should work fine. A bit expensive at$12.95, but it just takes a few drops. The big box stores also carry cutting oils.

As a side note, I also bought a Plews oil can to put it in. Not very happy with it, the trigger sticks out way too far for a comfortable grip, and with a little oil on things your hand slides right to the top. Poor design, almost not usable.....I'll give this one a fail.

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

For carbon steels I use the Dark Cutting oil from Rigid products. I use a Spillmaster container and a brush for both mill and lathe work.

For aluminum I use Relton's A-9 cutting fluid in a Spillmaster and brush most of the time and other times on aluminu I use a small spray bottle with WD-40.

For thread cutting I have found Castrol's Moly thread cutting fluid works great.

Mike.

Mobilmet 766 gallon jug from Enco. currently free shipping. PM me if you need the code. I also have some AnchorLube, which is water based and a thick paste. It is good on stainless and it is better at clinging to the tool or work when you need that. Free samples are available from AnchorLube if you reference Bar-Z Industrial.

I do most sawing dry and low speed on saw
If I am cutting aluminum WD40 spray
I did try coolant and cutting oil back in 70's for cutting steel it did make saw blade last any longer low speed work the best

Dave

Oh I forgot to add that I don't use any cutting oil on my bandsaws. I do my cutting dry for the most part but on long heavy cuts I will use some of the Relton's Stick Kut lubricating was on the blade.

Mike.

Mobilmet 766 gallon jug from Enco. currently free shipping. PM me if you need the code. I also have some AnchorLube, which is water based and a thick paste. It is good on stainless and it is better at clinging to the tool or work when you need that. Free samples are available from AnchorLube if you reference Bar-Z Industrial.

I did buy a gallon of MobilMet 766, but it has a big warning on it about corroding yellow metals, so I am a little gunshy to use it.

I did buy a gallon of MobilMet 766, but it has a big warning on it about corroding yellow metals, so I am a little gunshy to use it.
So, don't use it on yellow metals. Most brass, for instance, machines well dry. So do many other yellow metals. Get that free sample of AnchorLube for when you need a cutting aid on yellow metals, "just in case" you do. Use up that gallon jug!

So, don't use it on yellow metals. Most brass, for instance, machines well dry. So do many other yellow metals. Get that free sample of AnchorLube for when you need a cutting aid on yellow metals, "just in case" you do. Use up that gallon jug!

Hehehe, yah, I am not so worried about the items I am cutting and more about a piece of machinery that the fluid is being used on that contains some yellow metals, like gearing or the like.

Am I safe to assume that a harbor freight band saw and a Grizzly G4003G lathe is void of any yellow metals? If so then good.

Sorry for the dumb questions but this is an area I am very unfamiliar with.

If using Mobilmet 766 for cutting metal on a lathe was an issue, you would definitely have heard about it by now...

Back