Cutting 11.5 TPI threads

LROYSON

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know if an 11.5 tpi thread can be cut on a PM-1228VF-LB lathe? My chart only shows 11 or 12 tpi but no 11.5. Thanks in advance for any help someone may have.

I believe you've got to call PM and get the correct gear to do that.

I have the same problem with my King 12x36 no 11.5. I needed to make a garden hose adapter and they are 11.5 TPI . I decided to try 11TPI.
Not the best fit but it doesn't leak.

I called PM and they didnt know and suggested asking in this forum. Also I don't have a reference for 2.25mm either? Any idea how to get a 23 tooth gear to fit my lathe? I don't have that gear.

I suppose that you would have to make one.
Here is my text that I wrote up for cutting threads not listed on the quick change box.
Special threads may be cut by substituting a gear with the same number of teeth as the TPI desired on the QC box input, the tumbler gear and lever on the QC box are set for the for the number of threads as there are numbers of teeth on the stud gear. The levers may be set to cut multiples or halves of the QC box drive gear, and also the QC box range gear may be used to arrive at the correct pitch.

I called PM and they didnt know and suggested asking in this forum. Also I don't have a reference for 2.25mm either? Any idea how to get a 23 tooth gear to fit my lathe? I don't have that gear.
You could 3D print such a gear using PLA or PETG. I have 3 such gears in my lathe and they are doing great over a year know. If I eventually break them, I even don't replace them with the POM gears I made but again with 3D printed PLA gears. That reduces the risk of damage to other parts of the gear train.

I suppose that you would have to make one.
Here is my text that I wrote up for cutting threads not listed on the quick change box.
Special threads may be cut by substituting a gear with the same number of teeth as the TPI desired on the QC box input, the tumbler gear and lever on the QC box are set for the for the number of threads as there are numbers of teeth on the stud gear. The levers may be set to cut multiples or halves of the QC box drive gear, and also the QC box range gear may be used to arrive at the correct pitch.
I guess I'm too new to this hobby to fully understand how to do what you have described. Thank you though.

If you have a rotary table for the mill you can use it vertically to cut any # of teeth on a gear, even w/o the indexing plates. It may not be perfect but at the slow speed change gears run it will work. You can use the formulas in the Machinery Handbook to calculate the required diameter.
The indexing marks on my Vertex RT allow me to come really close to any # of degrees/parts of a degree of rotation. I've made a gear cutting tool for the mill from square HSS stock and an arbor that holds it much like a fly cutter. I just eyeballed the shape of the tool teeth against an existing gear of about the same size. I used aluminum for the gear and it ran fine. The hardest part was broaching the keyway on the lathe, slow but it works.

Back