[How-To] Cutting 1 1/2” aluminum plate

I tried my table saw and miter saw and while they work it was tedious and a mess. I have a block, 3”x5 3/4“ I’ve been cutting up for various projects. Since I got my double reduction and auto feed sled done on my old 14” HF bandsaw, that’s what I now use for all thick stuff like the block. Just clamp it up to the sled, adjust the air pressure for the feed and let it do its thing while I do other stuff while keeping an eye on it. Every once in a while I’ll put a squirt of WD40 on it. I also use the same setup for cutting a block of 3”x3” DuraBar I have.

Attachments

• 47BBD215-175C-478F-9137-F83CEE3AAEEF.jpeg
    47BBD215-175C-478F-9137-F83CEE3AAEEF.jpeg
    490 KB · Views: 12
drilling a series of holes first would be my way then use bandsaw or table saw.
Dave

Last edited:
I need to make a 14” long cut in some 1 1/2” think aluminum. Do you think my old (1940/50s) Delta wood/metal bandsaw would be up for the task?
Not sure if the saw would be up to the task itself , but a skip tooth blade would be the ticket . :)

Cutting thick metal would make me nervous , whats the kick back like!
I wonder if a modern table saw would cut well with out the circuit tripping to protect the motor.
I have cut lead with circular saw was not fun.
Power required is always a function of feeds and speeds, so feed easy. There is no reason NOT to use wood tools on aluminum stock.

I have a 14" Delta bandsaw for wood or metal cutting. I see no problem cutting 1 1/2" aluminum on that saw. I would use the high speed and a skip tooth blade (about 3 tpi).

'

I have a 14" Delta bandsaw for wood or metal cutting. I see no problem cutting 1 1/2" aluminum on that saw. I would use the high speed and a skip tooth blade (about 3 tpi).

'
Hi, I didn't use a skip blade but that will further eliminate galling.

I've cut 2" aluminum on my Craftsman (King Sealy) 3 wheel band saw. It's slowed down to metal cutting surface speeds, and it's ever so slow, but it worked fine. Since I mainly use it for metal I have bi-metal blades for it, but carbon steel wood blades should be fine on aluminum.

I have also cut thick aluminum on my 10"table saw using a tripe chip carbide blade. It works very well, but you need to limit the feed to keep from bogging down the motor.

Back