[How-To] Cutting 1 1/2” aluminum plate

Good morning, I have used my 7 1/4" circular saw using Irwin tungsten carbide tipped 24 tooth blades with great success on 5/8 stock. Might work for you.

That’s a interesting idea. Would you recommend multiple passes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a interesting idea. Would you recommend multiple passes?

Hi, I didn't, but if you were to over cut and then dress the cut on a mill for correct sizing of the stock multiple cuts may work well. Let the saw do the work. Of course you will be using a clamped guide for the cut.

A 7 ¼” circular saw with the tungsten blade as mentioned will cut aluminum like wood. I would cut it with one pass. It is really hard to keep a straight line with a circular saw. So, use some form of fence to hold the saw square. And wear lots of safety gear. Chips fly everywhere!

A 7 ¼” circular saw with the tungsten blade as mentioned will cut aluminum like wood. I would cut it with one pass. It is really hard to keep a straight line with a circular saw. So, use some form of fence to hold the saw square. And wear lots of safety gear. Chips fly everywhere!

Thank you. This sounds promising.

Why not try using your router with a 1/4" spiral hss bit. You could setup a fence and make step passes. If your looking for a nice finished edge... (?)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I did a 1-1/4" aluminum plate with a M18 circular saw a while back. While it struggled and left a pretty mediocre finish, it got the job done faster/better than anything else I could have thought of. As others said, my shop was covered in aluminum chips afterwards though, so wear hearing protection!

I just cut a piece of 2 1/2" thick 7050 aluminum on my table saw. Made a pass about half the thickness and flipped it over and cut it off.
Slow and steady with a 40 tooth blade.
Joe

Attachments

• 20230122_134714.jpg
    20230122_134714.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 22
This is all very helpful.

Thanks everyone!

I just cut a piece of 2 1/2" thick 7050 aluminum on my table saw. Made a pass about half the thickness and flipped it over and cut it off.
Slow and steady with a 40 tooth blade.
Joe

What type of blade did you use?

Cutting thick metal would make me nervous , whats the kick back like!
I wonder if a modern table saw would cut well with out the circuit tripping to protect the motor.
I have cut lead with circular saw was not fun.

Back