[How-To] Cutting 1 1/2” aluminum plate

I have also cut thick aluminum on my 10"table saw using a tripe chip carbide blade. It works very well, but you need to limit the feed to keep from bogging down the motor.
You guys have more guts than I do using a wood saw to cut aluminum, or any other metal for that matter. My wood saws accumulate saw dust in just about every corner of the base. Try as I might I don't think I could clean enough out to feel safe filling the place with hot metal chips. I've burnt my arms and hands with hot chips, and even had an errant paper towel start smoking after being peppered with chips. I would hate to lose the shop, the house, and everything that's in it due to an errant chip that started a fire.

I never had an issue with aluminum chips causing burns or a fire. When using a table saw or circular saw the chips will be very thin and air cool instantly.

You guys have more guts than I do using a wood saw to cut aluminum, or any other metal for that matter. My wood saws accumulate saw dust in just about every corner of the base. Try as I might I don't think I could clean enough out to feel safe filling the place with hot metal chips. I've burnt my arms and hands with hot chips, and even had an errant paper towel start smoking after being peppered with chips. I would hate to lose the shop, the house, and everything that's in it due to an errant chip that started a fire.
Mine has such a low power level and the cuts are extremely slow, so haven't ever seen any smoking chips on it, or even burned myself with the swarf. It has a quarter horse motor but the blade will slip long before the motor stalls.

+ 1 on the table saw, I have an old Delta that I dedicated to metal cutting. I've cut up to 1" aluminum and ½" steel on it though I do have a metal cutting blade on it and I've slowed down it a bit by using a 1725 rpm motor and swapping out the pulleys. But I have cut thick aluminum in the past on a regular table saw with a regular wood blade.

Fascinating discussion. I have not cut aluminum on my Unisaw because the idea of doing so honestly terrifies me.
I have a variety of blades; combination and rip but nothing dedicated to metal. I have read that a negative rake blade is recommended but I've not taken the plunge.

Fascinating discussion. I have not cut aluminum on my Unisaw because the idea of doing so honestly terrifies me.
I have a variety of blades; combination and rip but nothing dedicated to metal. I have read that a negative rake blade is recommended but I've not taken the plunge.
It is noisier than a banshee, but no worse than cutting wood.
I would always rub it down with a wax candle along the cut line. That was the only part of the process that wasn't a horrendous mess.

0° to a few degrees negative rake blades work best, there are ones specially designed for aluminum and ferrous metals but I find the latter works well for both. I use a cutting wax stick for lubrication. A face shield is a must and ear protection is highly advised. I never let any part of my body in the path of the part, between the fence and the blade, if it were to kick. I always use a push stick.
Here's my setup, the metal cutting saw is on the right, they share the fence.
MC TS - 1.jpeg

It is noisier than a banshee, but no worse than cutting wood.
I would always rub it down with a wax candle along the cut line. That was the only part of the process that wasn't a horrendous mess.
I'm going to have to try this as I have a 3'x2' sheet of .25" 6061 that I'd like to cut up for some projects.

Back