Custom tail stock.

For sure, for the inside of pipes.
[about cone centers for pipe]

Most (non-seamless) pipe has TERRIBLE internal circularity and concentricity; I'd only use
want to use such a center in conjunction with some file work to prep the workpiece.

Probably more practical to just purchase another standard Atlas quill on Ebay
Take the tailstock apart and verify the leadscrew is ok and not mangled up
-M
Thanks Mark, considering that option. Screw looked ok with a flashlight but don't have the proper tool to disassemble the rear of the tailstock yet. Almost looks like you need a spanner wrench but looking into it.

If you end up getting a standard one, I'd be interested in purchasing this from you. Seems like I could have used something like it more than once time before...

If you end up getting a standard one, I'd be interested in purchasing this from you. Seems like I could have used something like it more than once time before...
I'll have time tomm to tinker with it.

I'm just trying to get my mind wrapped around the type of work this would be used for. What surfaces are bearing up against the outer races during turning?
It came from a motor shop. Most commonly, armatures.
They'll clamp an armature at each end and turn the contact area smooth again for the brushes to have a nice flat shiny surface to make contact with.
That's pretty common.
This thing simply allows you to have a 3 jaw chuck at each end. This tail end happens to ride on rollers like a steady rest instead of clamping firm. No need for centers or dogs. Very handy.
It also works well for long, thin turns where you don't want (or have) a steady rest and need to work near the tail end.
Lots of uses - like everything else.

Most small motors, dynamotors and rotary inverters have one or both ends of of the rotor already drilled for a live or dead center at both ends. Which a standard lathe with 3-jaw chuck on the head stock spindle and dead or live center in the tailstock ram will handle. But this lathe came from a motor and generator specialty shop. And larger motors and generators have armatures that are too heavy for a 2MT center but usually have the inner race of a needle or straight roller bearing or bronze bushing on one end of the armature. Which is a good fit for a tail stock ram fitted with a special 3-jaw chuck with ball bearings mounted on the jaws of. As we have here. So I might refurbish the special 3-roller tailstock ram but I certainly would not try to turn it back into a standard tail stock ram.

Mine chuck has a pin to engage the slot on the quill and a set screw opposite to lock it in place

Attachments

• IMG_0002[1].JPG
    IMG_0002[1].JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0001[1].JPG
    IMG_0001[1].JPG
    93 KB · Views: 6
That sounds like it might have been intended to lock the armature and prevent it from rotating while undercutting the mica separators after turning a commutator.

Back