Custom tail stock.

rufus

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have an Atlas 3986 from an alternator rebuild shop or something like that.
Definitely interesting piece but hoping I can get back to a normal tail stock. Haven't begun to wonder how to get this removed. OR maybe I can get a replacement quill.

I disassembled it as my tail stock is not functioning properly, the tail stock lock assembly lock nut is stripped and it was stuck in the locked position. The quill would not advance or retract, the leadscrew? was not engaging. Will address this later when I get time back in the shop.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220807_133110.jpg
    20220807_133110.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220807_133123.jpg
    20220807_133123.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220807_133207.jpg
    20220807_133207.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220807_133257.jpg
    20220807_133257.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220807_133304.jpg
    20220807_133304.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 40
Welcome to the forum. Interesting to say the least. I take it the that the quill is stuck to the 3 jaw bearing chuck. More knowledgeable people than me will chime in here to help you out. What is even more interesting is that another forum member recently posted a picture of a similar 3 jaw chuck but without the bearings. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/craftsman-101-07301-three-jaw-chuck-help-needed.101298/

Is that a pin or a screw with the head missing in the fourth picture.? I would try to remove it. Either drill it out or try using an easy out. Left hand drills will sometimes cause a broken off screw to unscrew.

Welcome to the forum. Interesting to say the least. I take it the that the quill is stuck to the 3 jaw bearing chuck. More knowledgeable people than me will chime in here to help you out. What is even more interesting is that another forum member recently posted a picture of a similar 3 jaw chuck but without the bearings. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/craftsman-101-07301-three-jaw-chuck-help-needed.101298/

Is that a pin or a screw with the head missing in the fourth picture.? I would try to remove it. Either drill it out or try using an easy out. Left hand drills will sometimes cause a broken off screw to unscrew.
Yes broken off. Thinking in a few days I'll try to back out the other set screws and see how/what they are holding. Not really sure if its all pressed on. Thanks for the tips, I'll pick up an easy out and see what I can do with it.

I have one.
Yours is fine. Just needs some clean up and dressing.
These are tightened with two rods. Hence the wallered out holes.
The jaw will go back in just fine - it's a matter of timing. It's a standard 3 jaw chuck and you have to get the right jaw in the right spot at the right time and it's back to happy times. There's a scroll back there. You'll figure it out.

Oh, and these are really super handy sometimes. Naturally a motor shop would have one because not every armature has a centered end but they still gotta work the thing. It's hard to center drill a 1.5" shaft with .875" spindle bore. These can be used for the same thing in your shop. Anything round is now captured and centered without figuring out how to centerdrill it.

That looks like a 3 jaw chuck on a split bushing one the end of the quill. My guess would be that there are set screws pressing on that split bushing to hold the chuck on. Figure out a way of loosening those set screws and then try tapping the chuck off with a dead blow hammer

If that doesn't work see if you can press through the chuck against the quill, then use a press to remove it

I have one.
Yours is fine. Just needs some clean up and dressing.
These are tightened with two rods. Hence the wallered out holes.
The jaw will go back in just fine - it's a matter of timing. It's a standard 3 jaw chuck and you have to get the right jaw in the right spot at the right time and it's back to happy times. There's a scroll back there. You'll figure it out.

Oh, and these are really super handy sometimes. Naturally a motor shop would have one because not every armature has a centered end but they still gotta work the thing. It's hard to center drill a 1.5" shaft with .875" spindle bore. These can be used for the same thing in your shop. Anything round is now captured and centered without figuring out how to centerdrill it.
I'm just trying to get my mind wrapped around the type of work this would be used for. What surfaces are bearing up against the outer races during turning?

It's basically a large outside live center for holding shafts that don't have a useable center drilled hole at the end. You could use it as a pipe center too

For sure, for the inside of pipes. This would hold the outside. It's main use was probably as an armature center though, like those brass jawed Jacobs chucks you see occasionally

Probably more practical to just purchase another standard Atlas quill on Ebay
Take the tailstock apart and verify the leadscrew is ok and not mangled up
-M

Back