Cushman 6" 4 Jaw Chuck Value

I felt the same way when I first started - I just didn't get it. Here's an example of holding something odd shaped in the chuck:

DSCN7927_zpsce97e4fe.jpg

There are two advantages here; one, you can almost exactly center a work piece based on the inside diameter or, for round stock, outside diameter - you can't do that with a three jaw. Your's is a nice clean chuck that looks well cared for. It won't be long before you'll understand a lot more than you do now and then you'll be upset if you sell it. At least keep it for the time being - you can always sell it later if you find you don't need it.

John

DSCN7927_zpsce97e4fe.jpg

Thanks for all the good information. I have determined to keep the 4 jaw and the 3 jaw. I can definitely see the advantages of having both especially since they are both paid for:).

I plan to learn to use this lathe and have no desire to sell it. I don't even know what one chuck does better than the other. I read what I can when I can. If the 4 jaw does things I would not have any need to do then why would I keep it? Just checking.

Four jaw chucks are able to center a hole either from a simple punch mark on the surface of a plate stock or from a round piece of stock. In other words you can layout a small piece of flat stock one could locate holes that are off center. They take patience and determination to get the part cantered some days.

Three jaws are good for speed centering. If you are turning a piece of stock down they are very good if all outside diameters are turned in one chucking. When I was running short to medium number of parts I always, if the part had a drilled hole through it, after cutting the part the part off and then pulling out more stock. I always removed any remains of the previous center.

If some day you decide to but a collet chuck they are great at self centering. I used them on medium to long run production since the stock is already centered they are true time savers.

Don't know what sort of things you plan to make with your lathe, bama, but in addition to the reasons already mentioned, a four jaw chuck will also allow you to turn eccentrics, camshafts, and crankshafts for miniature engines, both steam and internal combustion.

I am not sure where to post this, but if needed please move to the proper place. I purchased a Logan 1825 a few days ago and it had a Cushman 4 jaw chuck and a 3 jaw chuck. I am not sure if I will use it as of yet. I am not a machinist, I am a tinkerer. I would like to reclaim some money if possible so I would like to know the ballpark figure for what it is worth. The jaws move very smooth and nothing is chipped or dented. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bama, take the small amount of effort to get proficient indicating jobs into the 4 jaw. You'll never be sorry. After a bit your 3 jaw will start to get rusty if you're not careful.

Back