Cushman 6" 4 Jaw Chuck Value

bama7

Registered
Registered
I am not sure where to post this, but if needed please move to the proper place. I purchased a Logan 1825 a few days ago and it had a Cushman 4 jaw chuck and a 3 jaw chuck. I am not sure if I will use it as of yet. I am not a machinist, I am a tinkerer. I would like to reclaim some money if possible so I would like to know the ballpark figure for what it is worth. The jaws move very smooth and nothing is chipped or dented. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CUSHMAN 4 JAW CHUCK 003.JPG CUSHMAN 4 JAW CHUCK 010.JPG CUSHMAN 4 JAW CHUCK 007.JPG CUSHMAN 4 JAW CHUCK 005.JPG CUSHMAN 4 JAW CHUCK 004.JPG

If you are only going to keep one chuck (I'd keep both) I suggest selling the three. The four can do most of what the three can but the three can't do most of what the four can.

I plan to learn to use this lathe and have no desire to sell it. I don't even know what one chuck does better than the other. I read what I can when I can. If the 4 jaw does things I would not have any need to do then why would I keep it? Just checking.

The four jaw chuck can grip things that are not round because each jaw can be adjusted seperately.

Hi,

You should keep both.

The 4 jaw chuck is valuable when you need to centre your workpiece. As mentioned, the 4 jaw is good to grip irregular shaped workpiece and you can basically centre any feature.

The 4 jaw chuck is the chuck you use when you don't have 5c collets or any similar work holders for high precission work.

Bjør

Lets see with a 4 jaw chuck you can make a square peg fit a round hole. Another way to look at it is, a 3 jaw is for speed a 4 jaw is for accuracy.

+ 1 on keeping the 4 jaw
When people go to school to learn to be a machinist the 4 jaw is the first chuck you learn to use. Many people get so comfortable with the versatility of it it becomes there go to chuck. If I only had one chuck it would be a 4 jaw.
Tomh

Back