Curious why people need a small bandsaw for DIY?

But sometimes I do feel a little like Mad Max
I have MANY friends, customers and acquaintances who are makers, builders, fabbers, tinkerers, and just generally handy.
We are a country full of Mad Max types, making do with what is available.

The idea above about the improved availabilty of machinery is truly apparent to me, and welcome across a wide segment of my peers.

Nicolas, your question is interesting. It's easy to forget that the rest of the world doesn't think as we do and doesn't understand why we think as we do.

For the original question, I have a very old 10" bandsaw that I bought at a junk shop and restored. Now that I have it, I wonder how I lived without it, it's just so convenient to cut things that would be a lot more work with other tools. I wanted it mainly for thin aluminum and that's what I used it for most, but I also used it for plastic and wood parts. As for going out to a commercial shop, that wouldn't be feasible even if there was a commercial shop within a half hour. Typically I'm working on something, need to cut out a part for the part quickly, then back to what I was doing.

But I also see that your question isn't just about bandsaws, you're trying to understand the American culture that, unlike most Asian cultures, buys and uses hobby/DIY tools. It's rooted in the early history of the country; a pioneer in his log cabin or a ranger out on the range didn't have access to many manufactured goods so he made things himself-- and had the tools to do it. That's no longer necessary for most people today, but the "I can make (or fix) this" attitude is still very present in the culture... though sadly it seems to be diminishing.

For some of us, having machine tools are just a means to an end. I'm an engineer, which means I make things, whether at work or at home, and I need tools to make the things I want. I guess that's the "DIY" category, though the term "maker" is also used. Then there's the true "hobby" machinist, who makes things just for the pleasure of it, and having nice tools is part of the pleasure. These are the guys who make fully functional miniature engines, or other neat but useless things. Most of us probably fall somewhere in between.
HI, FanMan:
Thanks for your reply on this, I think you give me a very perfect answer, and yes, I agree with you maybe the root cause is different cultures will make people think differently. Besides this, cutting something is one of process during your tasks, so, you need to cut fast and move to next step. Hope my understanding is correct.

To own a machine is just a method to made a tools, small equipment, modify something, it is a kind of hobby. Like a painter or song writer can create or build something they love.

Thanks again for your answer, hv a good day!

I have 4 mills, 2 lathes, 7 saws, 4 plasma cutters, 13 welders, shaper, 3 drill presses, 4 surface grinder (one working and 3 for parts) and tons of hand tools. Its an obsession,
wow, you must a rich man, any small saw(4 or 5 inches) you owned?

Nic, we don't see it as rich, just dedicated to our hobbies. We in Australia have a very similar outlook to our friends in USA, as also do Canadians , New Zealanders, as also do the british and they are our ancestors, I think that has a lot to do with it. Remember the industrial revolution started in Britain, and spread rapidly to the colonies, So we all have inventive repairer and maker genes in our make up.

Not rich, the obsession keeps that in check. its a new machine here, a couple of used machines there, old machinist selling up, small plants going out of business, estate sales and auctions. I’m good at buying, but terrible at selling.

About 50% of my shop output is work related (which helps off set the costs), I make new parts and repair old parts, for the company I work for, the rest is strictly hobby related. I make tooling and jigs, repairs on cars, lawn mowers, snowblowers, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats and whatever else is needed. I‘m strictly metal working based, no wood working.

I believe the major drive for home shops is self reliance, why hire someone to repair something, when you are capable yourself. As previously stated we stated as a British colony, where the industrial revolution started, but I believe, the US, started out largely as a farming based economy, and you needed to be self reliant, you need it fixed then and now. For a lot of us that self reliant gene is alive and well.

I have a Keller 4 x 6 power hacksaw, a Milwaukee 14” dry cut saw, a Rockwell/Delta 14“ vertical metal cutting bandsaw, a 7” and a 9” metal cutting circular saw, a Milwaukee sawzall, a Milwaukee porta-band saw, a Wilton 9” cold cut saw, a Milwaukee chop saw, a HEM small drop band saw and a Wilton 7 x 12 drop band saw.

There are certain machines which have become hobby machine brands. Craftsman, Atlas, Logan and others. Some of these were sold by big chain stores like Sears and Montgomery Wards for the home shop. These are more expensive Now than far larger professional machines. So if you have the room like Buffalo21 has and the means to move them you can pick them up for far less than a small hobby machine. I know it makes no sense. Right now our local Craigslist has several examples where 12x36 Atlas or South Bend are $1500 + and there has been a 22x60 down south with tooling for $1200 for over a year. If you are patient ,vigilant and knowledgeable you can pick up useable machinery for a fraction of what hobby machines go for. Especially what new ones go for. The estate sale where I got my old Atals 7b had a huge Index vert mill and American horizontal mill. The Index weighed at least 2,000# and the American was at least 3-4,000# and they wanted $350ea. There was no way they’d fit in my garage even if I could figure out a way to move them.

Not rich, the obsession keeps that in check. its a new machine here, a couple of used machines there, old machinist selling up, small plants going out of business, estate sales and auctions. I’m good at buying, but terrible at selling.

About 50% of my shop output is work related (which helps off set the costs), I make new parts and repair old parts, for the company I work for, the rest is strictly hobby related. I make tooling and jigs, repairs on cars, lawn mowers, snowblowers, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats and whatever else is needed. I‘m strictly metal working based, no wood working.

I believe the major drive for home shops is self reliance, why hire someone to repair something, when you are capable yourself. As previously stated we stated as a British colony, where the industrial revolution started, but I believe, the US, started out largely as a farming based economy, and you needed to be self reliant, you need it fixed then and now. For a lot of us that self reliant gene is alive and well.

I have a Keller 4 x 6 power hacksaw, a Milwaukee 14” dry cut saw, a Rockwell/Delta 14“ vertical metal cutting bandsaw, a 7” and a 9” metal cutting circular saw, a Milwaukee sawzall, a Milwaukee porta-band saw, a Wilton 9” cold cut saw, a Milwaukee chop saw, a HEM small drop band saw and a Wilton 7 x 12 drop band saw.
Hi, Buffalo:
Understood, these machine just like your investment, tools for living. I always respect someone who can repair things because they are problem solver and turns terrible things in a better way. For example, if some equipment or machine got problem and unable to working, a service boy comes to our factory fix the problem, this will help factory running normal again, earn money again of course.

Nic, we don't see it as rich, just dedicated to our hobbies. We in Australia have a very similar outlook to our friends in USA, as also do Canadians , New Zealanders, as also do the british and they are our ancestors, I think that has a lot to do with it. Remember the industrial revolution started in Britain, and spread rapidly to the colonies, So we all have inventive repairer and maker genes in our make up.

" british and they are our ancestors,"

Hey Whoa there Bob.

No British in my blood. (not that theirs anything wrong with that) :adore: I'm Portuguese through and through. :p We were around when they invented the wheel. :grin:

OLd Mud, sorry I was speaking of the majority, here in downunder land we have a multicultural society. My home city proudly boasts at least one restaurant from every cultural group. [

OLd Mud, sorry I was speaking of the majority, here in downunder land we have a multicultural society. My home city proudly boasts at least one restaurant from every cultural group. [

No problemo Bob I was just yankin yer chain. Guess i should go to work now. :grin:

Back