"creeping" Tail Stock

Also check that the plate that the tailstock is gripped to the bed by does not have worm grooves where it has been rubbed by the underside of the ways.
I had such a problem with the thread counter friction pad /plate being well worn in this manner .
I had to make a new one as I couldn't use the old one turned upside down due to the position of the threaded securing hole being too far to one side .
Thank you for the tip. Your suggestion was spot on. When I looked at the plate all appeared normal but, when I examined the plate using a magnifier, I saw a small crack. Apparently when I tighten the nut it caused the crack to open and I really couldn't get it tight enough. I made a new plate today and it seems to have cured the problem. Thanks again to all that offered suggestions.

I think that all of the possible causes of your problem have been mentioned (or at least I can't think of any more). But one minor terminology point. The operation of making or enlarging a hole with a drill bit is generally called "drilling", not boring.
Thanks for correcting me. You are correct, of course.

You're welcome. I tend to hesitate to post minor corrections like this to open fora. But this forum does have a higher than average of first time machinist's than probably any other on this site. For the simple reason that usable Atlas machines are much more plentiful on the used market than any other US badge. So sometimes it seems necessary.

Back