"creeping" Tail Stock

building2

Registered
Registered
I have a Craftsman 6" lathe Model 101.07301 and when boring with a drill chuck mounted in the tail stock the tail stock tends to "creep" backwards no matter how much I tighten it. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you correct it? Thanks.

Is the screw bottoming out before it gets tight? Maybe add a washer under the nut? You might try cleaning the oil off of the clamp and the bottom of the ways. Is there enough clearance between the clamp and the bottom of the tail stock?

The only other thing that comes to mind is to glue a strip of emery cloth to the working portions of the clamp to add some friction there.

I already checked the screw for bottoming and it's Ok. I never thought about the oil on the bottom of the ways. I will check that. Thanks for the tips.

I have done some very heavy drilling with my Sears/Atlas 6" and not had a problem controlling tailstock creep. However, I just looked at my clamp and found that I had replaced it with a piece made from some 1/2 x 1-1/4" steel. Check your clamp for cracks. The clamp may be distorting under pressure and bottoming out. I don't recall why I replaced mine (it was probably twenty or thirty years ago) but almost certainly the casting broke.

Bob

I have done some very heavy drilling with my Sears/Atlas 6" and not had a problem controlling tailstock creep. However, I just looked at my clamp and found that I had replaced it with a piece made from some 1/2 x 1-1/4" steel. Check your clamp for cracks. The clamp may be distorting under pressure and bottoming out. I don't recall why I replaced mine (it was probably twenty or thirty years ago) but almost certainly the casting broke.

Bob
I will be looking at that today. Thank you.

Also check that the plate that the tailstock is gripped to the bed by does not have worn grooves where it has been rubbed by the underside of the ways.
I had such a problem with the thread counter friction pad /plate being well worn in this manner .
I had to make a new one as I couldn't use the old one turned upside down due to the position of the threaded securing hole being too far to one side .

Last edited:
Also, don't limit your checking to the clamp, etc. Look at the drill(s), particularly the chisel point. If regular clamp pressure doesn't hold, might be that you are requiring excessive thrust forces because of a drill being mis-ground, or perhaps just needs a good sharpening.

I generally work up to size with smaller drills, the little ones clear the center so the web of a larger drill doesn't have to work.

I think that all of the possible causes of your problem have been mentioned (or at least I can't think of any more). But one minor terminology point. The operation of making or enlarging a hole with a drill bit is generally called "drilling", not boring.

A dull drill will definitely increase the axial force required to cut but with that lathe, you should be able to tighten the tailstock clamp so it would take a wrench to advance the quill without having tailstock movement.

When drilling large diameter holes, I find it best to use a smaller drill for the second to last pass because if there is just a few thousandths to remove the drill can auger into the work, possibly ejecting the drill chuck from the taper. Drilling multiple holes also increases the tendency of the drilled hole to wander with each additional hole.

Back