Creating a Sphere on the end of a shaft

I assumed the OP wanted a hemisphere. That's certainly what I was trying to approximate. I don't think the sphericity was critical but I'll let him answer that.
If all he wants is a rounded shaft, and doesn't want to fudge with setting up a sphere cutter, here's what I'd do.
I'd chuck the 1/2" rod in a handheld power drill and shape it on a belt or disk sander. Use a template or eye to make it "round". Once the shape is set, put it in the lathe and use a file and sandpaper to touch it up.

But this is coming from someone who went 50 years without a lathe.

This is just decorative - a hemisphere was the original concept but things went awry and I ended up with the above. Like I said just decorative - and a way to avoid a blunt end. The part is a quill handle on an old drill press. It's short and offers the opportunity to grab the blunt end so I wanted to soften it some. I appreciate all the suggestions and ideas and I expect I'll have future opportunities to try them and maybe be a little more successful.

Rick

"just decorative - and a way to avoid a blunt end"

I've got to make a handle for the ram position adjustment on my new-to-me knee mill. A ball will require turning the ball, and then turning down the whole length of the handle.

Nothing wrong with making chips, but do you guys have other ideas for "decorative" handles?
For instance, I have several balls out of computer mice that have gone bad. Thought I might drill and tap them to go onto the end of a rod.

hand made tool on bench grinder and lapped on lathe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/TgGwp3CHfBrCa5eY7

Attachments

• IMG_0175.png
    IMG_0175.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0174.png
    IMG_0174.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
This is one way I do it. Or I can grind a form tool on my bench grinder and lapped on lathe. All radius tools ground by hand on bench grinder . Both ends with my simple ball turner I made, And middle free floating ring with free hand ground tool on bench grinder.
All out of one piece of steel on my old Logan 11 inch lathe.

Attachments

• 5C9E841E-4FE4-4DBC-9C1F-A78BAB9EA24F.jpeg
    5C9E841E-4FE4-4DBC-9C1F-A78BAB9EA24F.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

I've got to make a handle for the ram position adjustment on my new-to-me knee mill. A ball will require turning the ball, and then turning down the whole length of the handle.

Nothing wrong with making chips, but do you guys have other ideas for "decorative" handles?
For instance, I have several balls out of computer mice that have gone bad. Thought I might drill and tap them to go onto the end of a rod.
Made on my bench grinder and finished lapped on my old Logan lathe grinder.

Attachments

• P1000507_Original.jpeg
    P1000507_Original.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 2
Rather than turning down the entire shaft, thread the end and the ball and assemble. Thread the ball end before cutting the ball to make things easier.

The ball end on a drill press is more than just decorative. When the handle is rotated away from the user, you are pushing it rather than pulling and it helps to maintain positive pressure to be able to grasp the ball knob.

Made on my bench grinder and finished lapped on my old Logan lathe grinder.
Just curious - tow things I've heard/read. You should not grind in the side of a wheel but seems like to make that form tool you would have to use the side? Second - form tools don't work so well on smaller lathes like a clausing 12".

Rick

Back