Creating a Sphere on the end of a shaft

Thanks Jake - I started out thinking this would be an easy way to create a sphere. You hqve, I believe, brought some reality to the topic. Based on your description I am really questioning whether my Clausing lathe has the capability of doing this - specifically the ability to get the tool behind the pivot point. I may be better off with either one of the ball turners Amazon offers or a form tool. It seems the ball turner offers some benefit in that it can be used across multiple sizes where as a form tool is specific to one feature. Any thoughts on that?

Rick

Based on your description I am really questioning whether my Clausing lathe has the capability of doing this - specifically the ability to get the tool behind the pivot point.

This is why I threw in there to mock it up instead of calculating this in your head from scratch. You may very well not be able to, but if you are creative, maybe. Or maybe not..... Also, I never gave it a thought, but it was mentioned... Because my lathe is not appropriate (threaded chuck), so turning backwards is a poor choice. And my cross slide and compound are not heavy enough to consider cutting forward on the back side with the tool upside down, That's just out of the question for me. But other lathes are quite capable of either or both. Maybe yours is capable? That lets you be on the opposite side of the pivot center. It's not much, but that buys you another half an inch in tool position. Maybe that's enough? Like I said, I suspect that not all lathes are capable of this, but fitting it up and playing with it is pretty much free, and maybe when you get part way there, it's easier to see what's got to change or be different, and a whole new and different tool mounting (or anything else) comes to you in the process. Or maybe not.

I may be better off with either one of the ball turners Amazon offers or a form tool. It seems the ball turner offers some benefit in that it can be used across multiple sizes where as a form tool is specific to one feature. Any thoughts on that?

Rick

That should get it done, and probably quite quickly. If that's going to be a regular ongoing thing, I honestly might try both. If your lathe, and your material can lets you drive a form tool straight in there with zero complaints, then that's the way to to do it, all day long. If that's fussy or fiddly, chatters too much, or otherwise just isn't working out, then a proper ball turner, after it's all set up and dialed in, would knock those out quite readily. If this is a one off job, at a half an inch... You "could" make a cardboard cutout and work your way in with an appropriate file. That'd probably go really fast if you put a heavy 45 degree chamfer on the end of the part first. But while doable, if I was doing a dozen... Maybe not so much so. There's a lot of ways here. Me, personally, I like the challenge of making something with nothing, and I'll spend some time at figuring out how to do it. Sometimes I spend a lot of time. Not everybody has that same mindset about such things, and nobody's "wrong" in what gives them enjoyment or when that adventure turns to frustration. And in my case because my lathe makes this job easy, I have had zero problems setting this up two times in my life. Three if you count a proof of concept run. But if I come to a dead end and I want it done "now", or if my workaroundd gets too fiddly, or if I have a deadline (rare in my world), I don't have any regrets in finding a pre-made solution that's quick and efficient either. Within reason, and within what finances I'm willing to devote to a hobby or to a specific project.... There is a reason that form tools and ball cutters are so readily available. I might have a ball cutter one day even though I can get by without.

This is one way I do it. Or I can grind a form tool on my bench grinder and lap on lathe.
I would like to put a sphere/radius on the end of a 1/2" diameter shaft using a 12" lathe. I know there are a few different ways to do this but I am specifically interested in a method I have heard about that involves turning the sphere using the swivel function of the compound rest. Has anybody ever heard of that? If so, can you point me to something that goes through the set up?

Thanks
Rick

How perfect does the end radius have to be? For instance, is it just decorative, or must it fit in a pocket and act as a loaded pivot point?

If it is just decorative, I just remove material freehand until I get close to the desired size. I use a radius gauge or a shop-made gauge with the desired radius for reference. I hold it close to the work after each cut and make sure to leave material for my finish passes. Once I get close, I use a file to remove the high spots and stop the spindle. By holding the radius gauge close to the work, I can tell where to remove the most material. I then repeat this process until I get the radius I want. This doesn't work for repeat projects, as it takes too much time, but works pretty well for one-off work. After you get used to doing this, it goes quicker than you would expect. Practice on some scrap, it is worth the time spent.

You could take this a step further by calculating x and y coordinates and roughing out the work using a parting tool. Take the first cut on the largest cross-section of the radius, move the tool over a given distance, then plunge to the calculated depth. Repeat as necessary. The cuts will become deeper exponentially as you progress toward the end of the shaft.

How perfect does the end radius have to be? For instance, is it just decorative, or must it fit in a pocket and act as a loaded pivot point?

If it is just decorative, I just remove material freehand until I get close to the desired size. I use a radius gauge or a shop-made gauge with the desired radius for reference. I hold it close to the work after each cut and make sure to leave material for my finish passes. Once I get close, I use a file to remove the high spots and stop the spindle. By holding the radius gauge close to the work, I can tell where to remove the most material. I then repeat this process until I get the radius I want. This doesn't work for repeat projects, as it takes too much time, but works pretty well for one-off work. After you get used to doing this, it goes quicker than you would expect. Practice on some scrap, it is worth the time spent.

You could take this a step further by calculating x and y coordinates and roughing out the work using a parting tool. Take the first cut on the largest cross-section of the radius, move the tool over a given distance, then plunge to the calculated depth. Repeat as necessary. The cuts will become deeper exponentially as you progress toward the end of the shaft.
I did see a you tube video that describes that parting tool technique in pretty good detail. I may give that a try. This is simply a decorative feature so accuracy isn't critical

Rick

The form tool may work on a large rigid lathe. I can say with certainty that my SB 10K with 1/2" shank tooling would chatter too badly with this method. Also, using a QCTP I cannot get behind the compound axis of rotation. I probably could with a lantern tool post.
I took another approach entirely and attached a tool to a small rotary table. I can position this on the cross slide and cut radii.

So thanks to all for all the great replies. I decided to try doing it freehand - running the carriage in very slow power feed and manually using the cross feed followed by filing. I didn't end up with the hemisphere I originally was after but an acceptable alternative for my first try. It accomplishes the original goal of eliminating a sharp edge to grab your hand.

Tapered Rod Sphere.jpg

Rick

That looks workable.
A quick and dirty technique I think someone mentioned earlier: Start by cutting a 45 deg on the shoulder. Then on those shoulders cut a 22.5 and a 67.5 then on those cut 11.5, 33, 56.5 and 79. Finally file it smooth. That should look pretty good.
Just for fun, I gave this a try. This is before filing:
1689006263567.png

I think this actually takes longer than setting up the radius cutting tool! And it's not really round because it is hard to plan the depth of cut.

Last edited:
Are you just trying to make a radius end or an actual ball on the end of a shaft?

I assumed the OP wanted a hemisphere. That's certainly what I was trying to approximate. I don't think the sphericity was critical but I'll let him answer that.

Back