Craigslist "Overpayment" Scam

Yup... Even on legit transactions, I always log into my paypal account to see if the money is actually present. I have had this scam happen once to me. I knew it was a scam immediately and toyed with the buyer for quite some time. He was mad that I was wasting his time. I thought that was funny.

A similar scam happens when an email comes from paypal indicating some purchase was made. But when you hover over the paypal links, they are not properly formatted (Paypal.com). So I never click on links from emails. I log into my account from Paypal and verify.

ALWAYS log into your paypal account to verify the transaction. NEVER get to paypal via an email alone.

My 2 cents...

Eric

Had a similar setup from Craig's list they sent a check for 3 times to price with instruction to for shipping.
check had no water mark told the guy no deal and give me your mail address for return. never answered.
They even send Fed Ex next day from a legit business.
The printers these days can copy a check that look very real. bastards need jail time.

These scams seem so obvious to most people but if these dirtbags send out 100,000 emails and find one sucker they're happy. I advertised a room for rent a few years ago and more than half the respondents were female 25 year old fun loving students in a foreign country looking to move here. They all were going to send a check for too much money so I could pay the movers. I would give them the address of the restaurant in town so they could send the check. I's fun to mess with these people.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested I have a bridge for sale. :rolleyes:

i once had an email scammer try to get me ...
he send an email telling me that i won the Australian Lottery by proxy.
he said that i have 160,000,000 AUD in a secured account, just waiting for me to claim it :party:,
ALL he wanted was 750 USD to fill out the required forms !!!! ( i wonder if the forms were in Strine???)
i assured him, in a return email , that i would give him 200,000 AUD, just to handle the whole transaction for me because,
I'm a Australian MILLIONARE now and had to plan for my new estate.
i also went as far as to offer the scammer a lifetime job as my financial consultant, if he'd handle the small task.

I'm still waiting for the return email....

Funny that, here in downunder we usually get scams saying we have won the British lottery or something unheard of from Las Vegas. I know they are scams because I never buy a lottery ticket. Not ever, not anywhere.

I've had that happen on several occasions, and not just Craigslist. I have never allowed it to go any further than them saying they would send extra money. That is usually where I stop it if it even gets that far. Sad part is, there are a lot of people who fall for this stuff.

I've had that happen on several occasions, and not just Craigslist. I have never allowed it to go any further than them saying they would send extra money. That is usually where I stop it if it even gets that far. Sad part is, there are a lot of people who fall for this stuff.
I have had similar attempts on eBay. but just ignored them.

You can google the routing numbers to try to check on the validity of the check.
Most are not good.

Back