Craigslist "Overpayment" Scam

How come this is happening? Does crime pay??? Why are there so many scammers? And those annoying phone calls with nothing to say to but crap. 95% of my land line calls are from people full of crap. And now my cell phone is getting them!

I think there are three reasons: 1. It's way easier to reach people anonomously. With the internet, smart phones, robocallers, bots, etc, it is easy because for a lot of this you don't even need a person, it is all automated. 2. Global reach. Just because some scammer says they are from New Jersey doesn't mean they are not in Africa, South America or Central Europe. What better targets than in the US? I expect poorly educated people in many other countries think we are all rich, so we are a target rich environment in their minds. 3. Lack of enforcement of laws against this. Even if you just take the scammers and spammers here in the US, I expect the amount of resources spent by all US law enforcement combined to combat these guys proactively and send them to jail is probably miniscule compared to what is spent on counter-terrorism, drug interdiction or even prostitution enforcement. So, it's the wild west for scammers. That's my opinion, at least.

I'd love to be able to set these type people up and have the cops standing by to haul
they off to prison where they belong.

most of these people are already in prison and doing this just for their entertainment to mess with us---I don't think prisoners should have access to computers and cell phones---I find that unless replies about your item mention the name of what you are selling then it is just a scammer---most scammers just say they are interested in your ITEM--not the lathe or mill or drill press or shaper or whatever you are selling---all you have to do is ask what ITEM are you asking about---they can't answer that-----Dave

most of these people are already in prison and doing this just for their entertainment to mess with us---I don't think prisoners should have access to computers and cell phones---Dave

Not internet, no phone, no a/c, no gymnasiums, .....
They built a medium security prison about 20 miles from where I live some years back. They gave a tour of local people before it opened, one of which was a high school PE teacher. When asked what he thought, he replied "I wish we our school had half the weight training equipment you have here". Leave it to the government to treat prisoners better than our kids.
Add this to the fact that a lot of the prisoners families moved to the local area (mostly at tax payer expense) to be close to their incarcerated family member and the local crime rate went through the roof.
I'm tired of hearing about the criminal who says "I was just trying to provide for my family" after being arrested for robbing a liquor store with a gun.
If you're trying to provide for your family, get arrested for trying to shoplift from the store, I'd be okay helping you out if that was your only choice.
Threaten another human being with a gun...I want to see you strung up right after convicted.
If the only downfall to crime is a cushy prison that has better living conditions than they had on the outside, where's the deterrent ???

Bring back the chain gang, whack weeds all day and fresh roadkill for supper, and think what an impression it makes on the kids when you drive by. I saw one in Alabama in '96.

A few years ago, I got a call from a scammer that was trying to get my SS number. I managed to trace the number to a house in Georgia, I had the house number and even looked up a picture of it on Google earth. I could have driven to their front door. I called the local police department down there and they could have cared less. They didn't even entertain the thought of looking into it. Yea, for the most part, you are alone in this world and have to use your wits.

Bring back the chain gang, whack weeds all day and fresh roadkill for supper, and think what an impression it makes on the kids when you drive by. I saw one in Alabama in '96.
I think kids should be put on a chain gang for a week when they do something wrong enough. Maybe it would straighten some of them out. Instead, they go to "juvenile detention" where they are coddled. It doesn't help and just makes things worse.

Years ago We were traveling through Georgia and stopped to eat. While We were there a chain Gang came through with all the perps chained together, They had a extremely nasty Deputy holding a shot gun at the ready riding on a horse behind them. The Sheriff went through the drive in and left. No one else got anything not even shade and it was extremely hot. Deputy looked like He would do the deed and not even miss a beat. Learned quickly not to screw up in Georgia, That's the way it should be.

In Georgia they put their DUI convicts to work picking up trash along the highway, makes sense to me.

They tried one on me on Facebook , said they were a friend of mine who I know , said I was entitled to a free money grant for $90,000 , he said my name was on the list he got his from. This came in on there messenger site . My body the gunsmith whose name he stole trying to scam me never heard of it. They got a friends name and tried it. Stay on top of all your places you visit on the internet . Cons are always trying new ways

My Craigslist ads state "Face to face, cash transaction ONLY." That keeps all but the most stupid of them from bothering me.

Back