Craigslist find, Enco Mill

Well, this machine was his fathers who sounds like he has passed.
He has no way to run the machine where it is located.
He did say that there may be accessories for it that he would include.

If it can be gotten for $1000, would it be worth the risk or should I keep looking???

Search on here for how to check out a machine.

But, if all the handles move freely, without a lot of backlash. And the ways don’t look too worn. You’ll probably be okay at $1500.

Try for less, realize moving it is something a lot of folks don’t want to do. There are a lot of old mills out there that don’t sell quickly.

If it wasn’t used in a production shop there’s a good chance the wear is minimal. Try to find out if the father was an original owner and/if it was used in production.

Yes, not being able to run it isn’t ideal, but at the prices you’re looking at not really a deal breaker. There’s nothing there you shouldn’t be able to fix.

You can always ask more questions here before you pull the trigger but my sense is you’ve found a good one. $8k plus for a new equivalent. These machines were designed to run a long time and take way more abuse than a hobby shop will dish out.

John

You will more than likely need a VFD or a Rotary Phase Converter to run it because it should be 3 ph 220V. Do you have any machinist friends to check it out for you? Should weigh about 2200 lb. How are you going to move it and locate it at your place? Any tooling go with it? Vise, collets, hold down clamps?

What model might it be? I have a 1527-27 which is a 9x42 step pulley machine. I bought it new. The only thing
I had trouble with is the switch that eventually wore out. That's when I went to a VFD. It's been a great machine
for me.

Here's one data point that you might consider.

I bought a yr 2000 Enco 9x42 mill for $4000 10 years ago off a West Coast Craigs List. That is a premium price, but I bought it from a local machine shop owner, who had bought it for his (late) father and he let me see it first. It's a two speed 220v 3 phase stepless pulley model and has a 3-axis DRO. He included a set of 5C collets and a 6-inch import vise. The machine was made in the Mainland.

If I were you, I would definitely see the machine first and perhaps even make him power it up to make sure it's worth your trouble. As has been said, it's 220v, plus could be three phase. It weighs over 2K lbs so will not be without effort to move it and set it up in your shop. If you have experience with these types machines or know someone who is, that's one thing. But if you don't and there any problems with the machine, you could be SOL.

I have had no problems whatsoever with my Enco. I did replace the DRO that came with the machine with a more advanced, later model DRO and replaced the spindle return spring with a new one. As someone already said, MSC has parts available for these machines.

Here's the Craigs List photo of my machine. FWIW, I just looked up the price in a 2012 Enco catalogue for a 9X42 step pulley Enco mill with DRO - $7600. Also, there are several Encos on Ebay now for $2500 - $4000 (OBO) plus shipping.

Steve Photo 2 (465).jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it was barely used. Anyway, there are plenty of videos online on how to evaluate a mill. I’m not an expert, but if it’s loose in the middle and tight at the end of the x travel, that’s a pretty good indication it has some wear.

Back