Craftsman cross and compound slide play....

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
Working with my lathe yesterday and I noticed some movement in the cross slide and compound slide. I assume there are worn parts in there that need replacement. The lathe is a Craftsman, 12" in the 101.28970 range. Can anyone point me towards a source for parts? And what should I be looking at to tighten things up a bit?

Attachments

• IMG_4223.JPG
    IMG_4223.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 19
You need to adjust the gibs. If you have a manual it will show you the locations. Probably not a bad Idea to pull them out, and clean, and inspect them. If they are plastic, I would recommend changing them out for cast, or steel replacements. Mike

I am fairly certain the gibs are plastic. I assumed I would need metal ones before any adjustment would help. Can I get metal from someplace?

Apparently the metal gibs are not available from Clausing anymore, only the plastic ones.
Have a milling machine? You could make some from mild steel
-Mark

No mill, maybe someday! I’m gonna keep an eye out for some, maybe on eBay. Or, worst case maybe I can get someone to make them for me. I’m pretty sure the plastic ones in this machine are dead.

Try Joel at MyMachineShop.net . The plastic ones that Clausing changed to in the mid-70's were a bad idea even when brand new as they had a certain amount of "give".

I managed to spend some time working on the lathe. It turns out both gibs are steel, but both were very loose. Another issue turned up during the adjusting process. Both the cross slide and the compound are binding when moved in, towards the operator. Out feed away from the operator is fine. In feed though binds up. No amount of adjusting will make it work. I am thinking something with the brass nut? Or possibly the cross feed gear on the cross slide? I'm at a loss unless there is a mobile lathe repair person here in Central Florida!

I managed to spend some time working on the lathe. It turns out both gibs are steel, but both were very loose. Another issue turned up during the adjusting process. Both the cross slide and the compound are binding when moved in, towards the operator. Out feed away from the operator is fine. In feed though binds up. No amount of adjusting will make it work. I am thinking something with the brass nut? Or possibly the cross feed gear on the cross slide? I'm at a loss unless there is a mobile lathe repair person here in Central Florida!

These might be silly and obvious questions. But have you made sure the gibs are installed correctly? Most gibs have detects where the screws locate the gib. If the gibs are upside down or even flipped around. It may feel good one direction. Then when you go the other direction the gib will slip causing binding.

If all that checks out. It is time to inspect the screw and nut. Not sure you ever stated how much back lash the cross slide and compound have. That can give us a basic idea of the condition of the components.

YouTube is your friend in finding out how to disassemble the cross slide and compound. It is a straight forward process.

Keep plugging away at it you will fix it.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Thanks for your reply. The gibs are in the correct orientation and I have tried all amounts of tension from loose to tight. I have been watching videos and so far do not see a reason for the binding. I will take more things apart next weekend and see what I see.

Back