Craftsman 101.21400 cleanup

I knew when I was given this lathe that the lead screw had been mistreated. You could see some flattened threads and hammer marks on the end. I put a micrometer on it and it's .020 out in some spots. I guess I'm now in the market for a new one. Does anyone here have on they'd like to sell?

Scott

Here are some more photos. I've been stripping the paint. I've got to tell you, this isn't very fun. I'll be glad when it's over. I have a question about repainting. Will I get a better finish with a brush or using a spray can?

Scott

IMG_20131106_132459.jpgIMG_20131106_132430.jpgIMG_20131106_132442.jpgIMG_20131106_132452.jpg

IMG_20131106_132459.jpg IMG_20131106_132430.jpg IMG_20131106_132442.jpg IMG_20131106_132452.jpg

I like to spray my stuff with Hammer paint as it will hide a lot of irregularity in the surface beside it looks nice too.
When spraying, do a mist coat first. That will bond better than a solid first coat as the mist coat will give the second coat some teeth and help eliminate any runs.

lots and lots of parts and accessories on Ebay for it. I have the Atlas version that I am in the process of restoring myself. Have fun with the project!

I'm currently restoring a Craftsman machinists chest. I started using Rustoleum Light Machine Gray. It's turning out good. I did spray one drawer with hammertone and it didn't turn out too good. bought some in the quart and that stuff is THICK!! I tried to thin it out with xylol and all it did was make the paint wrinkle. I obviously didn't thin it out correctly so I went back to the spray bomb machine gray. I'll post pictures in another thread when the job is done.

Thanks for the info pipehack. I've got some hammered silver paint but i've been flip flopping on what color I want to use so I haven't started painting yet. I'll post some pictures when I start painting.

Scott

Drop into your neighborhood Tractor Supply. Tabletop sand blaster for $100 (assuming you have an air compressor). You will never look back. The hours saved and the surface finish when you paint are well worth the investment.

Back