Craftsman 101.21400 cleanup

sgriggs

Active User
Registered
I've been slowly taking the lathe apart and cleaning everything. Today I cleaned the lathe bed and feet. I swear it's lighter now.

Scott

IMG_20131009_132358.jpg IMG_20131009_132323.jpg IMG_20131009_132331.jpg IMG_20131009_132349.jpg

Looking good. Mine was used for cutting wood so it's caked with dust. Is it hard to get the carriage off? I'm thinking about taking it all apart and give it a fresh paint job. I would never call it restored, but it would look better.

Looking good. Mine was used for cutting wood so it's caked with dust. Is it hard to get the carriage off? I'm thinking about taking it all apart and give it a fresh paint job. I would never call it restored, but it would look better.

pipehack,

To remove the carriage, remove the bushing from the tailstock end of the lead screw. Traverse your carriage back and just push it off being careful not to drop it obviously.

Scott

Looking Good Scott! Isn't it fun cleaning these machines up?

Few things are quite as rewarding as restoring a machine to it's former beauty with a fresh coat of paint and an overall cleaning and inspection. Most relaxing and gratifying!

This was the first machine I restored! :) What memories!

Bernie

Few things are quite as rewarding as restoring a machine to it's former beauty with a fresh coat of paint and an overall cleaning and inspection. Most relaxing and gratifying!

I've really learned a lot about the internal workings of the lathe. I do find it fun and relaxing. I will eventually paint it but I'm itching to see how it cuts metal.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Pipehack,

Before you run the carriage off the right end of the bed (and obviously you have to first remove the tailstock), remove the compound and then crank the cross slide to the rear and slide if off the dovetail, catching the gib with your right hand. Remove the carriage gib. Put a block cut to proper length under the lead screw so that you don't leave it dangling by the other end. THEN pull the carriage off the end of the bed.

Robert D.

pipehack,

To remove the carriage, remove the bushing from the tailstock end of the lead screw. Traverse your carriage back and just push it off being careful not to drop it obviously.

Scott

I've really learned a lot about the internal workings of the lathe. I do find it fun and relaxing. I will eventually paint it but I'm itching to see how it cuts metal.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I am assuming the machine shown in the original post is the one you are speaking of. If you do not repaint the machine at this point it would make little sense to imagine ever repainting the machine. I cannot imagine tearing a machine down to that point and re-assembling it only to tear it back down again for paint. It is difficult to be patient in such circumstances, but the situation dictates patience to end up with a quality product.

Thanks guys. I like my lathe to be clean, but it makes little sense to me not to re-paint it while it's apart. there's nothing wrong with my lathe other that the caked up saw dust on it. That alone is driving me nuts.

Back