Covid

It seems like those of us who can stay home and get bored or fed up are fortunate. Imagine what front line health worker are going through having to deal with a tsunami of patients. And then there are the seriously ill who got sick through no fault of their own.
At one time we had 3/4 of the ICU nurses out with Covid. It shut down the OR because the CRNAs were needed to cover the ICU because they were the only nurses with ventilator experience. My partner, and also the chief of the surgical ICU came down with it. Thankfully, none of the providers I know died from it. Hopefully, they are now immune. But my partner was also one of the rare individuals who got it twice. This disease has been horrible. For most of us, just a horrible disruptor of our lives and routines, but for some a devastating killer of loved ones.

And there is not a single place on earth that has not been disrupted by the covid.

It has my family shut down . :rolleyes:

My 44 year old cousin is dead from Covid. My Father left his wife and family, as did his brother for four years to go fight a war for some other people he didn't know. My Mother worked packing parachutes for American aviators she knew would probably never return to their families while taking care of and raising her children, for four years. What is wrong with Americans today? Can we not sacrifice for others for even a year? We are not the Greatest Generation by any stretch of the imagination but I will keep trying to live up to my parents example.

For me, other than cheap facsimiles of actual human activity (everything is online now) it hasn't had much change in the day - other than the perfectly normal asthma or runny-nose of the little ones resulting in an hysterical response from school administrators.

(seriously hysterical responses - eating school food resulting in gas, gas being interpreted as Covid, covid requiring a doctor's note of "not a biohazard", co-pay to be paid - because school lunch causes gas, and kids are good at playing up a 'tummy ache' to get out of class...)

What I've noticed most is that this "two-weeks to slow the spread" is corroding vital parts of human interaction. Among the motives, FEAR is the most dangerous for anything. I see it in my colleagues' faces; people are aging at 3:1.

Pardon my name-dropping but, having done extensive scholarship around Smallpox and Bubonic (or maybe not Bubonic) of Colonial America, 13th century Europe, Byzantium, etc..., the greatest danger - even in "burn-bodies-in-the-streets-plagues" (which this is not) - is the SHATTERING of social cohesion.

Human beings begin to view neighbors, friends, and eventually family not at fellow human-beings, but as a BIOHAZARD.

These past 8 months have been the longest "two-weeks to slow the spread" in history - and it is doing things to humanity that I don't see anyone really examining.

Just my opinion but frankly, the cure is worse than the disease - far worse. It seems folk have forgotten that death is inescapable, so to escape it they have made living into death.

Covid, cancer, a bus, a meteor, or my taste for pizza... something is going to kill me. Extreme caution and brash-incaution are equivalent extremes.

Fear of death and disease leading to lives that are little better than death and disease.

My opinion.

Work life has changed little. Very small exposure to people on the farm. Trees still need the same care and people still need to eat. Social life non existent. Canceled extended family Thanksgiving. With the vaccine coming out life will start to return to normal.

It's kind of good that it took this long for this subject to come up. It meant or at least how I see it, most of the members here weren't affected by it in a worst way. I hope it's true.

I wish we all are safe and sound after this.

Myself, I never tested for it, but I suspect I had it. I had "covid toes and fingers" symptom. It was so strange, never in my life before, that they turned red, and later skin just peeled off (that's when it's better). Good thing it didn't spread everywhere. At the exact same time, I also had stomach problem on the right hand side (I never had problem like that before in that area). I went in for all kind of tests and colonoscopy. They didn't find anything. I think they should have tested for covid instead, since I searched google and those are two symptoms of mild covid infection.

It was really hard to go to doctors and got tested during that time. Most were closed.
My stomach still hurts once awhile. If this is covid, that is definitely a crazy disease.

the greatest danger - even in "burn-bodies-in-the-streets-plagues" (which this is not) - is the SHATTERING of social cohesion.

Human beings begin to view neighbors, friends, and eventually family not at fellow human-beings, but as a BIOHAZARD.

As far as it goes around here, the war on covid has increased social cohesion. Most people are helping others, making sacrifices for others, doing without for the collective good. The fact that some of our habits have had to change does not mean that we are fearful or that our society is falling apart, quite the contrary. The sentiment that we are all in this together is prevalent.
Of course there will always be some who text while driving, don't wear their seat belts, don't use trash cans, cut into the waiting line, etc. who don't adhere to the collective common sense. Protesting could even be a way of life for them. But they do not define our society.

Last edited:
Back