Covering my machines

The climate in Hawaii is pretty humid most of the year and especially on Kauai where Aukai is located; one of the wettest spots on the Planet. In addition, we are surrounded by salt water and the salt is blown around by trade winds most days so rust is a serious issue here. Keeping machines covered is just smart.
Thank you for all of the responses. I have not seen any condensation happening in the bags, there is not much of a temperature swing here. I work 48 hr shifts on one job, and a second job to afford my minor luxuries. There for the need for covers.:) I do not have an enclosed garage, so a lot of dust gets blown around also. I'll keep my eye on any condensation. If it breathes the salt will get through also. I have a 70 Chevelle that has had rust issues sitting in the garage as well.

I did wonder if those covers breathe, Aukai. I use cotton sheets to flow air and keep dust and airborne salt off the machines. Never thought about yard bags, though.

When I was stationed at Sub-base Pearl Harbor we never covered the machines but we did preform a ton of PM. Those big machines where pre WW II and had to keep them well oiled. The large hanger doors to the huge shop/s remained open with humid air flowing constantly. I suppose the salt would be of concern. I would get your garage closed in asap or PM's will become your third job.

If it breathes the salt will get through also.

Oddly enough, cotton will allow air to flow but not dust or salt. I have a table saw that is 30+ years old and not a speck of rust anywhere. Just paste wax every so often and cotton towels on it. Cotton is a good option, I think.

I agree with Paco - might be a good idea to enclose your garage, especially with those nice machines and assorted tooling in there. Might come home from your 48 hour shift to find your tools gone.

Good sewing machine some canvas tarps, ,thread :eagerness:

Last edited:
Remind me please of why you would want to cover a machine?
To keep it warm overnight? ;)

Seriously, a good reason to cover machines not in use is to keep grinding dust off them. Grinding dust (and to a lesser extent wood dust) is murder to machines... An even better bet is to keep grinders and woodworking equipment completely isolated (like in another building) from metal working machines. If only most of us had that luxury...

I use the HF canvas drop cloths like pineyfolks but only cover stuff when grinding or doing woodwork. My shop has metal working on one side, wood on the other. I have two ceiling fans that run 24/7 over the metal side. Everything is oiled or waxed regularly. I use LPS1 in a squirt bottle for most cast iron. No rust on anything.

Bruce

Some of us don't have a dedicated machine shop. My machines are in the garage where other activities also take place such as spray painting, woodworking, sanding, grinding, nerf gun fights etc. Dust tends to collect everywhere.
Sounds like my "dedicated" machine shop.

Back