Covering my machines

I buy plastic painters drop cloths and just drape it over the machines, let them hang loose so they will breath seems to work for me every winter. I also cover the mill and lathe ways with iso 32 oil and then saran wrap

Ok, I am beyond help then. I guess if I stored them outside it might be a good idea. BTW, It is a serious question. my machines are inside a shop, my humidity is not extreme. I keep them reasonably clean and have not seen any rust in the 4 or 5 years since I bought my first machine. Is there something I should know about care and feeding that I am missing?

Ok, I am beyond help then. I guess if I stored them outside it might be a good idea. BTW, It is a serious question. my machines are inside a shop, my humidity is not extreme. I keep them reasonably clean and have not seen any rust in the 4 or 5 years since I bought my first machine. Is there something I should know about care and feeding that I am missing?

My response was supposed to be humorous in that if you can't think of a reason to have them, then you likely don't. :)

I too have my machines in a garage, with windows and doors open during the summer for some cooler airflow through the 'shop'. I live in a arid climate, and it can get windy oftentimes. I don't want the sand/grit on my machines, as it will get into places I can't clean and accelerate wear.

If I had my machines in a true shop that had A/C and no windows open to the outside, I might not cover them. Maybe. :)

I consider my machines to be precision instruments, and would like to keep them that way for as long as possible. I keep a couple of micrometers and calipers on my hand bench, and I throw a clean rag over them when I leave the shop. I guess I'm just weird. :D

The climate in Hawaii is pretty humid most of the year and especially on Kauai where Aukai is located; one of the wettest spots on the Planet. In addition, we are surrounded by salt water and the salt is blown around by trade winds most days so rust is a serious issue here. Keeping machines covered is just smart.

I did wonder if those covers breathe, Aukai. I use cotton sheets to flow air and keep dust and airborne salt off the machines. Never thought about yard bags, though.

Breathing and air flow is why I use the cloth shower curtians. They also have weights on one edge and loops on the other end so I can hook them and the weights keep the other end down. I'm in a single car garage and everything to include wood work and painting goes on and Do not want the saw dust in my equpment so It gets oiled down and a cover to keep the junk out. Also dust and wind in TX does not mater if the door is open or not you will get dust and grit blowing in around the edges of the door.

Thank you for all of the responses. I have not seen any condensation happening in the bags, there is not much of a temperature swing here. I work 48 hr shifts on one job, and a second job to afford my minor luxuries. There for the need for covers.:) I do not have an enclosed garage, so a lot of dust gets blown around also. I'll keep my eye on any condensation. If it breathes the salt will get through also. I have a 70 Chevelle that has had rust issues sitting in the garage as well.

Back