Countersink Tool for Stainless Steel??

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Countersink Tool for Stainless Steel??Pics Added

Morning guys,have a question about countersinking holes?I am making a part for my 14"Delta/Milwaukee wood bandsaw out of 316 stainless steel.I went down to the big box store and purchase one of those countersink tools and on the pack it says for wood and metal but the results is not to smooth.The original part is on the right which is what I'm trying to match,the results is on the left and as you can see is not to smooth.My questions is,is this the correct tool for this or is there something else that will do a better job.I did look at McMaster-Carr they have one that is made for stainless and provides a smooth finish so maybe this is the route I need to take,any thoughts??Tks kroll
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2452/=oorktn

DSC02059.JPG

Last edited:
Those in the link will work fine. Try the one you have again first though. Looks like you were getting some real bad chatter there. Put your RPM as slow as it will go and try it again.

Morning guys,have a question about countersinking holes?I am making a part for my 14"Delta/Milwaukee wood bandsaw out of 316 stainless steel.I went down to the big box store and purchase one of those countersink tools and on the pack it says for wood and metal but the results is not to smooth.The original part is on the right which is what I'm trying to match,the results is on the left and as you can see is not to smooth.My questions is,is this the correct tool for this or is there something else that will do a better job.I did look at McMaster-Carr they have one that is made for stainless and provides a smooth finish so maybe this is the route I need to take,any thoughts??Tks kroll
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2452/=oorktn

Try a slower speed and some cutting fluid. I have the same bit. I use mine for wood and soft metals. It looks like it is jumping around on you. Good Luck

Clamp the piece in a vise and use a mill if you have one. Drill press spindles are notorious for wiggling around. Slow speed, cutting oil and firm pressure. Get in and out swiftly but not too fast.

Ray

Kudos on the posts. Slow speed, ridged setup. I have always used single flute, rather than multiflute. They always cut good for me.

You might try a zero-flute countersink, like a 82 degree Keo, for that application. No matter which CS you use it will require low speed to cut well - like 100 RPM or so. If your DP cannot go that slow then pulse the machine on and off and lower the cutter into the work as it slows down. It takes some time but it will cut. Use a lot of cutting fluid and a fair amount of force to avoid work hardening the hole.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for all the replys lots of good ideals that I did not do.I am using cutting fluid in a vise,but its on my DP which is what I have and no mill(sad face).Running it at 430rpms so I will slow it down and give that a try and applying alittle more pressure w/oil before I order that cobalt cutter.Thanks again----kroll

If you see that the vise or drill table are shaking, it's going to cause problems like that. The single cutter countersink seems like a good idea. I'd like to try one myself.

Ray

Thanks guys for all the replys lots of good ideals that I did not do.I am using cutting fluid in a vise,but its on my DP which is what I have and no mill(sad face).Running it at 430rpms so I will slow it down and give that a try and applying alittle more pressure w/oil before I order that cobalt cutter.Thanks again----kroll

Just gave it another try and I have to say it is better(apply more pressure,slower rpm) but its still alittle on the bouncey side.Thanks for replying Ray,your right I notice that my cheap DP is vibing.Ray it the single cutter better than the six sided cutter?I am going to go ahead and order one,but which???Tks kroll
Single flute it is,thanks

I don't own one and havent tried one but, I can absolutely see how it would not suffer as much vibration/chattering problems. I think Irsglory offered-up a pretty good suggestion. I'll order a couple on my next tool order.

Ray

Ray.
Just gave it another try and I have to say it is better(apply more pressure,slower rpm) but its still alittle on the bouncey side.Thanks for replying Ray,your right I notice that my cheap DP is vibing.Ray it the single cutter better than the six sided cutter?I am going to go ahead and order one,but which???Tks kroll

Back