Couldn't take the heat any longer.

An interesting "off topic" bull session if ever there was one. I wanted to clear up a few points clarify a couple of my earlier comments. I am 70 and have had several strokes. My prayer was answered, literally, when my mind was left reasonably intact, just my physical capabilities having gone south. I do not have and never have had air conditioning. I grew up when the only AC was in hospitals and movie houses. And we didn't have a movie house in my town.

Having served a couple of years on an Ice Breaker ('69-'71), I have crossed the equator and been to Antartica and then back across the equator within six months. http://www.hudsontelcom.com/Bilzhome.php

I worked several years on(in?) Guam('81-'86), first as a "civil service" electrician for the Navy, then on computers for Wang. I traveled through Micronesia, from Palau and Yap to Truk, Ponape, and the Marshall Islands. The temperature was ~85F, RH ~85%. Up and down from there, just sort of an average. If the temperature got down to 70F, folks started looking for a blanket. The only time I saw things that cool was when a typhoon came through. I was often asked how I, a "Haoli", dealt with the heat. My reply was about the 105F, in the shade, in the deep south. I seemed to fit right in. Being so near the equator, the weather never changed much. A "dry" season and a "wet" season was about it. Sort of like Florida in the summer, all year long.

When I returned Stateside (and was a little older) it seemed my tolerance for seasonal changes wasn't there any more. That's why I live in the deep south now, it doesn't snow here. Much. . . Tornados, now, is a different matter. I have sat by the kitchen window and watched a tornado come across the airport less than a mile away. I have an interesting theory about tornados, but this is not the place to expound on that subject. The modern "weatherman" isn't able to read a "topo" map, so only have their book-learning to get by on. A good site is "It's a Southern Thing", specifically
I think it's cute, have a look. . .

Since that picture the car rotted away, and has been totally taken apart to fix it all, still not finished....

It isn't insulated worth a darn. The ceiling is - 4" batting, the walls are empty and the two doors are rotting away.
The entire one side is in sunlight in the afternoon. Not the ideal area to try to cool.
I had a new 6K BTU in the window several years ago and it kept it cool enough around the lathe and mill, rest of the garage was warmer.
Had the 9K sitting around so I figured I'd give it a try. It isn't pulling out the humidity. On Thursday I took one of the de-humidifiers out of the
basement and have been running that also. (Can't wait to see the electric bill - not...)
It's only bringing it down to between 50-55%. At least my pads of paper aren't feeling damp.
I'm going to keep my eye on the local discount store and see if I can pick up a 12K on clearance or sale.
If your space is reasonably well insulated, not too leaky, windows shaded from direct sun, seems like 9K BTUs should just barely work. . I've never worked in an AC place but as long as the air is moved it's not bad. I'm in Nebraska so temps never get way out of hand. It has been humid this summer. We haven't gone over 100 this year. Winter heat bills can get kind of high but it doesn't stay seriously cold for more than a couple of months. You get used to it. Even the tornadoes aren't all that bad. They are narrow, so the likely-hood of being directly hit is slim. A small one passed a couple of blocks from our house last year. Took out some trees, power poles and flattened the dairy store. The Dairy store was the source of the nephew's lemon ice-cream, that was a big loss to them.
===========================================

I've been waiting for the 'Hawaiian Contingent' to chime in. :grin:
Here's hoping that Douglas loses it's strength as it nears land. :beer:
It was ~90° here again yesterday and the humidity was still rather high.

The SS rotted away? :bawling:
I do not want to brag too much with a Hurricane coming in two days, but upper 80s is hot enough or me.

Well it is 3 o'clock. Time to go out and weed wack. :grin:
Tougher man than I am. I'll get the brews chillin' :beer:
We just got hammered by a thunder storm, hopefully I kept it from coming your way. :grin:

I scored a $10 40V Cordless Craftsman whacker at a sale last year, and the really good news is that Honey doesn't mind using it.
Which is a good thing considering I do not have any of the 2-strokes running.

You're lacking details/specs young man, engine? tranny? rear end ratio?
Whatcha mean by 'clone'? Curious minds want to know...
Coming off the rolloff there it looks like it may have done time on a dragstrip. Oh, and I just noticed the rollcage.
Shame it's not a convertible, that would be so cool in Hawaii.
It was/is a clone that I've had for 25 years, the roof, floor pans, and rocker panels are the only original parts left. I'm still waiting for the body man to finish.

I don't want to hijack, but it's your thread....Clone is made to be, not a real SS I bought it as a representation. I got bored with car shows, and I'm a drag racer at heart, so when I got it it had a 454, 4 spd that disintegrated, and was replaced by a 5 spd. When it started rotting I took the body off mini tubed the rear, put in a Ford 9" 4.56 , new after market non synchronized 5 speed, and the new engine is a short deck 572" (950ish). I put in the roll cage to go back to the track. The tires on the roll off are 10.5 x 31 Ws, and there is a street version tires too, so it can still cruise the highway.

Back