Couldn't take the heat any longer.

I spent a year in Port-Au-Prince Haiti, AKA- Port Au Poop.
When we were in the shop, as long as the fans were running it was tolerable. You get that sheen of sweat that makes all the difference.
Lots of good drinking water is also a must.

I am not what you would call a 'world traveler'. I have family in the Sonoran Desert, and some in the Central Midwest.
I have visited them regularly my whole life. I have spent a few weeks in Southern California near the ocean as a job assignment.
My Old Man used to drag us all to San Carlos Mexico (250 miles south of Nogales) in August, because that was when the fishing was best.
That is the extent of my exposure to climate other than my previously described.

I feel completely confident when I say 'I am GOOD here, and I will remain in admiration of those of you who think 60% humidity is 'nice', and that a screened-in porch is 'normal, or required'.

We had a 95` day two weeks ago then the temp went down to high 80s -low 90s felt pretty warm during the day but after sundown high 60s/low 70s -- pleasant. Grandson & family cane from Jerome ID for a weekend camping trip near the head waters of the Dolores River, daytime high temp mid 80s early mornings mid 50s. With a fire ban in the US Forest and the surrounding counties a winter coat felt good until about 11:00 AM, old age I guess.
Have a good day
Ray

I must agree, as I get older 76 now, I don't tolerate heat or cold a swell a sI used to. i remember working in a foundry when it wa s104 outside, and a die casting shop and a heat treatment shop in the same areas. A ships engine room can be very hot when all the machinery around you is running at 85c. aka 185f. Driving a truck across the great western desert, (Aust) in the summer, and breaking down, had to work at night as the tools were too hot to handle. Those things didn't bother me when I was young, less than 50, but I need my A/C now.

Your part of the world is warmer Downunder Bob, I know this by experience of 2 construction seasons in the U S Navy at Cubi Point Luzon Island, P. I. (1956-1957) . Eighty five degrees F. Christmas eve in the screened in crew quarters after sundown.

Australia is an amazing place that I would have loved to visit or even lived there. Couldn't get the wife to Alaska so Australia is definitely to far from the Four Corners.

Have a good day
Ray

Thanks Ray. Over the years I have met so many people in or from the US and they rave about Australia if they've been here or they ask about it and us and always say they want come here, yet so few actually do. I think because your wages are so much lower than ours most americans see it a sa very expensive place to visit apart from the long flights. And it is true that because of our high wages the cost of living is also high, but we don't have tipping, so the price you see on the ticket is the price you pay. The minimum wage for an adult, that is 18 y or over, is about A$19 - 20/ Hr. So they say every one gets a livable wage. that is why no tipping.. It's not that there is a rule about no tipping It just is very rare.

With us it would have been the long flights back to the U S for emergencies and family functions. At 86 and a spot reserved in the local cemetery I doubt if I make it now. I am a retired Quarry Superintendent, and facinated when reading articles about your mining industry.
Have a good day
Ray

It's been in the mid 90s here with the heat index in the triple digits. I'm just not able to do the heat as I once could.
Have a 20+ yo Amana window unit laying around, with only about (6) seasons of use on it.
Figured why not? How hard could it be?
Well the garage was put up in the 70's and they put in mobile home windows sourced from the Clayton salvage bin.
The Amana almost fit. Less than an 1/8" too high.
Had to bend out the aluminum frame and remove the sliding pane, then there was room enough.
Of course the 1440 is underneath the window.
Only took a day and a half. -BLEH

If your space is reasonably well insulated, not too leaky, windows shaded from direct sun, seems like 9K BTUs should just barely work. . I've never worked in an AC place but as long as the air is moved it's not bad. I'm in Nebraska so temps never get way out of hand. It has been humid this summer. We haven't gone over 100 this year. Winter heat bills can get kind of high but it doesn't stay seriously cold for more than a couple of months. You get used to it. Even the tornadoes aren't all that bad. They are narrow, so the likely-hood of being directly hit is slim. A small one passed a couple of blocks from our house last year. Took out some trees, power poles and flattened the dairy store. The Dairy store was the source of the nephew's lemon ice-cream, that was a big loss to them.

Back