Could I Do This With A Spin Indexer ?

I usually frown when I see a factory tool modified. I like all original. But in this instance, I see no problem at all. In fact it’s a great improvement. I have one of those indexers that I modified into a CNC indexer and it works great. Stepper, timing belt, two pulleys, Arduino and my son's programing skills and it’s one of my shops most used toys…Dave
I often buy cheap tools for the casting & them turn then into something I can use. Sometimes I just want the parts out of them & it's cheaper to buy a whole tool then it is to order a few parts.

I don't mean to veer off topic, but I have a spin index related question. I have 3C collets for my lathe and R8 collets for my RF30 mill. I'd like to buy a spin index, but really don't want to buy a whole set of 5C collets if I don't have too. Is there such as thing as a 5C to 3C adapter? Or any other easy way to use my current collets in the spin index? Thanks Steve

Is there such as thing as a 5C to 3C adapter?
I'm in the process of making a 5C to 3PN adapter for my 5C spin indexer because I scored a set of 3PN collets (and an adapter for my lathe) at the same auction I got the indexer at. It consists of a reducer for the business end and a reducer for the drawbar. 3PN collets are quite similar to 3C collets, so similar that I intially thought that was what I had.

That's neat. I've been unable to locate an adapter, so making one may be the only alternative.

Why not?.
Clamp it in the vice and makes parts, if they work then the answer is yes, if they do not work the answer is no, in this business it helps to think outside of the box this is how innovation occurs otherwise we would still be banging away at machines designed in 1840.

I can not describe my loathing for the Tapered Pipe Thread standards that have been with us since 1864, by 1964 there were far better methods yet NPT still exists to this day, I find this embarrassing for a country that has created as much technical innovation as the US

A brief history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

NPT is cheap simple and it works for low pressure use. BSPP works for high pressure.

Back