Could I Do This With A Spin Indexer ?

Subwayrocket

Registered
Registered
Could I put this spin indexer in my vise ? The sides of the spindexer are not square, by eye the base looks like a keystone or a symmetric trapezoid. I'd have to mill the sides square before I could even clamp it in the vise.
The hand wheel clears the vise, as does the index wheel up front.

Yes, i've got a clamping kit and could clamp it to the table.
Wondering if I could do this and save some time breaking everything down.

I have to put 2 features in the sides of a 4 identical parts that I made from 1" round stock .
The tolerance is not critical on them but i'd like to try and do it well....all part of the learning process.
-----------------------------------------
SpinIndex.jpg

I have in my mind to try my spindexer on my surface grinder, poor man's cylindrical O. D. grinder and collet block style facet grinding. Might also be good for making pencil points on round stock, steep cone or pointy scribe. Definitely need to machine those cast sides dead nuts parallel with the spindle. It should be good for tool grinding, too after some practice...

Ok thanks guys. Sounds like it's ok , and been done. Plan now is to clamp the spin indexer on it's side in my vise. Chuck a piece of 3/4" drill rod in it with about 4 inches protruding, then indicate across the few inches...then I know im parallel with the centerline of the spin indexer. At that point I could mill across the side of the spin indexer (which is facing up toward the quill) .

I have a lot of time with spindexes on surface grinders, they work great. I think I have only used one on a mill a couple of times.
Jim , if you lived in northeast PA you would have a problem . I would be picking your brain !

Well, I'm here. I'll try to help out!

Ok thanks guys. Sounds like it's ok , and been done. Plan now is to clamp the spin indexer on it's side in my vise. Chuck a piece of 3/4" drill rod in it with about 4 inches protruding, then indicate across the few inches...then I know im parallel with the centerline of the spin indexer. At that point I could mill across the side of the spin indexer (which is facing up toward the quill) .
Spin your drill rod while indicating it to help make sure it is straight and parallel with the spindex spindle. I think it is also a good idea to check the front and rear and bottom of the base of the spindex for being square and parallel with the spindle. I don't remember the front and rear of the base being machined as it came. Mine only cost me $42, so I am pretty sure it is not Suburban Tool quality, even though it looks nice. Brad Jacob, BasementShopGuy on YouTube, did some upgrade machining to his spindex and documented the work. He was new at the surface grinder, and had some problems in getting the spindex to his satisfaction:

I usually frown when I see a factory tool modified. I like all original. But in this instance, I see no problem at all. In fact it’s a great improvement. I have one of those indexers that I modified into a CNC indexer and it works great. Stepper, timing belt, two pulleys, Arduino and my son's programing skills and it’s one of my shops most used toys…Dave

Last edited:
Back