Correct size QCTP for Craftsman 6” Lathe

I have a C-man 6" 101.07301 lathe and use a Shars OXA toolpost. It works just fine.
I picked the Shars for 3 reasons -
it's steel, not aluminum,
it's wedge type, not piston,
and price.
They also have just about any tool holder you'd ever need for it.
paulh

I have a C-man 6" 101.07301 lathe and use a Shars OXA toolpost. It works just fine.
I picked the Shars for 3 reasons -
it's steel, not aluminum,
it's wedge type, not piston,
and price.
They also have just about any tool holder you'd ever need for it.
paulh
I will probably buy one tomorrow sometime. I was in hopes of making a trade, but no responses yet.

The Shars is usually about the best of the Chinese ones. But inspect everything before you install or use it. Someone recently reported getting one that had all of the usually Chineseum problems.

Be prepared before you even mount it to have to have a little milling done to the top of the compound slide before you start using it. Remember that the Toolpost should almost always be sitting square to the lathe's spindle axis regardless of what angle the compound is sitting at.

Are there any USA made QCTPs that are better made and price comparable? I should be getting my gears and motor pulley by Saturday and of course I am way to impatient to get it working. I guess I will just use the lantern stuff for now.

Last edited:
The US made brands (Aloris and Dorian) are well made, but cost considerably more than the Asian brands.

The US made brands (Aloris and Dorian) are well made, but cost considerably more than the Asian brands.
If those are the only reputable American companies no one should fuss to much about the so called”cheap stuff”. Thanks

AFAIK, neither Aloris or Dorian are options for 0XA anyway.

One general comment on QCTP cutter holders - My most used tool holder is a 116 (for AXA) made by Yuasa. Aloris makes one pretty much just like it. Shars makes a 116 also but I would not recommend that anyone buy one. And if they do offer a 016 and it is like their 116, I wouldn't buy it, either.

The Yuasa and Aloris versions each hold two triangular carbide or HSS inserts. The inserts are oriented such that a long edge of the insert is perpendicular to the spindle axis. So it can turn and face to a 90 degree shoulder. The Shars version that I have seen photos of also holds two triangular inserts. But it has a long edge of each insert oriented parallel to the spindle axis. So if you are using it for turning, each pass will have to be a little shorter than the preceding one and you will be left with a 120 degree instead a 90 degree shoulder.

I got my Shars OXA QCTP and some 1/4” indexable cutters today. I had a step plate to secure it to my compound slide. Now I need a live center and a couple of other items, as well as my two step motor pulley and gears and it will be ready to go. Should be done sometime this coming week.

Back