Correct size QCTP for Craftsman 6” Lathe

bama7

Registered
Registered
What is the best size QCTP to get for my 101.07301 lathe? Is the AXA to big or should I go with an OXA? I found an AXA steel setup new for $102.00 plus $20.00 shipping. I think that is a good price if the quality is there. Toolots.com is where I found them. Thanks

Agreed. AXA is a proper fit for an Atlas 10" or 12" but too large for a 6".

But measure and double check. A friend just got a 6” Craftsman, bought 0XA and some 3/8” tools...it looks like the tools won’t quite come high enough to get on center. Might need to shim them up a bit, which is an annoyance.

Was the 6" Craftsman made by Atlas or by AA or by someone else?

Also, if all of the cutters are going to be too low, the proper solution is a riser block between the tool post and the top of the compound slide.

The AXA is designed for 3/8" cutters and will just hold 1/2" ones. The 0XA should take I think 1/4" cutters. And just barely hold 3/8" ones.

The AXA,, BXA and CXA dimensions were set years ago by AFAIK Aloris. But I don't think that they ever made a 0XA. Which would mean that there may be no recognized standard for 0XA.

Last edited:
I had the same lathe and used the OXA, it worked well.

[...]
The 0XA should take I think 1/4" cutters. And just barely hold 3/8" ones.

The AXA,, BXA and CXA dimensions were set years ago by AFAIK Aloris. But I don't think that they ever made a 0XA. Which would mean that there may be no recognized standard for 0XA.

I don't know about a standard but at least Shars and Allindustrial seem to have the same dimensions for their 0XA tool holders. For example:

202-9513sketch.jpg

As the diagram says: 'Tool bit capacity Up - 1/2"' with an opening of 33/64".

The 0XA system works fine with my Atlas 618.

Craig

My 6" Atlas/Craftsman measures .773" from the top of the compound to the spindle centerline. From Shars dimensions, I would need a 1/8" shim washer under the OXA tool [post to allow a full 360º rotation of the tool post. The 001 and 002 OXA tool holders would allow 1/8" to 1/2" tools on my lathe.

Back