[Newbie] Correct Insert for LH External Threads

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to cut some external, left hand threads (7/16-10) and I want to use carbide insert threading tools.

I have a internal threading tool holder and it came with some 16IR AG60 inserts.

Can I use these same inserts with a Left Hand External insert holder? I can't seem to figure out if there is such a thing as 16EL inserts.

TIA.

I just did a left hand M10-1.5 external left hand thread, per the diagram below it depends on which side the toolholder is on and spindle direction. I used a RH external insert (tool holder at the front of the work) with the chuck rotating counterclockwise (usual forward rotation) and the carriage moving away from the chuck. I setup a relief for the starting point, threads came out nicely with a good fit to the left hand nut. You use left hand insert/holder when threading on the backside of the chuck.

1647204848108.png
1647204910678.png

I use an internal threading bar up side down, cutting at the front of the part in reverse towards the chuck for external left hand threads.
Or the correct way up at the rear of the part.

Outside of the feedscrew running bass ackward, there is little difference in right and left threading. Most everyone here uses a slightly different technique. But for symmetrical threads such as 60 degree "V" and 29 degree ACME, the tooling for left or right is the same. In reality, only when one gets into "butress" threads like old timey railroad jacks does the cutter get non-symetrical. Whether you run forward or backward, tool front or back, above or below, the only real concern is the direction of the feedscrew.

I cut a lot of metric threads, as well as imperial, near half and half. Usually a machine, bicycle, engine, model, whatever, will be one thread form or the other throughout. When I make a modification to that something, I try to stay with the same as existing. With that in mind, I always use the technique for cutting metric threads, where the half nuts are never released. It's a pain in the wazoo, but I'm old and like consistant techniques. Whatever you are comfortable with, that's the best for you.

The only real difference in my technique is that, as a rule I use a HSS cutter for smaller threads. At around 16-18 TPI or a similar metric, things get a little fuzzy. I use whatever is handy. For small threads, I use HSS exclusively, keeping several grades of inserts is an outside problem. For larger threads, which I seldom cut, I just use the same inserts as for roughing, turning a fresh face if needed.

Last edited:
I should have provided some additional detail, not that it necessarily changes anything.

I have a threaded chuck, so I won't be running the lathe spindle clockwise, it'll always be counter clockwise facing the chuck. Which necessitates running the carriage away from the chuck for me. And I have my tool in front of the chuck. So it would seem this would be my setup.

1647204848108.png

I currently have a right hand tool holder and some 16ER AG60 inserts which is similar to what is pictured. would have thought that I would want a LH tool holder and possibly would use the 16IR AG60 insert that came with my internal threading tool, but I have no idea if the geometry of the insert would be correct in that situation. I also would have thought that the tool pressures would be vastly different using a RH tool cutting away from the chuck and I could break an insert a lot easier. Plus I think the shim would be in the way. Is that what "Change to Negative Anvil" means? Replace the shim?

Here is my threading tool I have now.

IMG_6800.jpg

I'll also note, I am not making parts for Space-X. Just some missing parts on the South Bend steady rest I have.

Use what you have, EX-RH insert holder and thread away from the chuck counter clockwise. Same applies for internal RH/LH threads threading with the chuck turning counter clockwise.

Looking at the photo, I don't see anything different for cutting left hand or right hand threads. The only concern is that the cutting tip be square to the work, which I assume is since you are cutting Right Hand threads fine.

OK. Appreciate all the advice and opinions. I'll take a closer look at the tool I have, but I am not optimistic it will cut right on the opposite side of the insert. But, as the prefix to this post suggests, I am a newbie at this. But in any case, a LH tool holder is less than $50 if I decide what I have is not going to "cut" it. See what I did there? ;)

For a 7/16-10 I would be concerned about the clearance on the laydown insert. I would probably grind a HSS tool for that pitch.

Back