Cordless tools, the next level

Yes, this isn't always obvious until you use them side by side. Cordless is great for a lot of things and they are very handy, but there are still places for corded, gas and air tools. I recently bought a Milwaukee corded drill because I was drilling holes in angle iron for a cart I was making. It is just their basic 3/8" drill too, not a heavy duty monster. Drilling steel with the corded drill made my Makita look like a toy.

The Makita is not out of work though, still my favorite handy drill and screw gun.
I do the same thing. I have a corded drill for heavy duty stuff, and a battery powered for less intense work. Same thing with impact wrenches: 1/2" and 3/8" drives in both. Whenever possible, I pick up the battery powered tools. Otherwise, it's 120V tools.

Regards,
Terry

Only yesterday I was looking at the box with collection of now unusable battery powered drills etc. sans batteries. A new drill + Li-ion batteries from B&Q DIY store can be had for less than the cost of replacing NiCad batteries.

I now know about what happens to NiCads, the reverse current through the first to discharge, the capacity memory effect, the crystal growths, the rejuvenation stunts. Battery wise, my Makita has been the most long-lived, and I could get "me too" batteries and chargers for the Li-ion type.

I agree about the new technology batteries. Having had the "Tesla" experience of being taken hundreds of miles to an air show, and brought home again by a thing that seems to mostly drive itself!

NiCads were a poisonous, and blighted technology. They taught us the convenience of cordless tools, but I don't regret their passing. Maybe I should just dump the (quite nice) old hand drills. I can't even recycle the chucks!
I recycle those chucks by using them for a pin vice or tapping small threads

You could also build your own Li-ion in the old packs with 18650's and the appropriate BMS PCB

I love that caulking gun, and will probably never go back to the old hand squeeze type.

Great idea, but to use the batteries and charger already on hand it would have to be one of these:
and not before it comes on sale at a huge discount.

I bought a 14.4v Craftsman driver drill back in the mid to late nineties. I finally replaced the original pair of Nicads with Li-ions 2 years ago. Pretty impressed. I'm interested in a battery chainsaw for camping, my Stihl 009L attracts too much attention in campgrounds.
I can highly recommend the Makita 18V brushless chainsaw for use in camping I had mine for about a year now and really very pleased with it. I believe they also make a larger model that uses two batteries thus 36V. but my small one does me for camping. however when it comes to cutting a years supply of firewood I revert to the bigger stihl.

Reactions: tjb
I can highly recommend the Makita 18V brushless chainsaw for use in camping I had mine for about a year now and really very pleased with it. I believe they also make a larger model that uses two batteries thus 36V. but my small one does me for camping. however when it comes to cutting a years supply of firewood I revert to the bigger stihl.

I have a full assortment, a 14 in. Homelite electric, an 18 in. Poulan Pro electric, a Stihl 009L, a Redmax G5300 and a Stihl 440. Some people say I have CAD (chainsaw acquisition disorder). Just one more, a cordless, would complete the collection. Over 15 cords currently split and stacked in the yard with more in the truck. I just can't stop.

My first set of Craftsman NiCad was okay, but the batteries definitely didn’t hold up great. I’ve had extremely good service from my Ridgid Lithium cordless tools.
As far as chainsaw goes. I bought a Makita 15 amp corded chainsaw that has been awesome. As seldom as I need a chainsaw, I just didn’t want to deal with ethanol gasoline which plays havoc on small gas engines. The Makita is a top notch power tool. And if push came to shove, my generator will easily power it.

Great idea, but to use the batteries and charger already on hand it would have to be one of these:
and not before it comes on sale at a huge discount.

Yikes, the Ryobi was less than $40 on sale. I'd have to be doing a ton of caulking to pay $200. You can get the Ryobi caulking gun with a battery and charger for $70. That Milwaukee must be pretty fancy at that price.

As I mentioned in the other thread I kind of bought it as a joke. Being able to lay down an even 3 foot strip of caulking in one pass quickly won me over.

Back