Cordless tools, the next level

That was the big selling feature for me. All of my cordless tools are DeWalt (20v), so I'm loaded up with batteries and chargers. If I had to buy new/different sets, I'd probably pass.

Regards,
Terry

Ya! I've only got a drill and impact (20v De), but I've got 4 batteries and 2 chargers. It'd be nice to have a cordless sawzall, but I've never been happy with any of the others - circular saw, flashlight, etc...

For some things, namely saw-types, I want the anger of the AC. That's just me though - maybe Lithium (or nuclear!) will get there someday.

Ya! I've only got a drill and impact (20v De), but I've got 4 batteries and 2 chargers. It'd be nice to have a cordless sawzall, but I've never been happy with any of the others - circular saw, flashlight, etc...

For some things, namely saw-types, I want the anger of the AC. That's just me though - maybe Lithium (or nuclear!) will get there someday.
Their Li-Ion flashlights are great. Pricey, but they come with several of the combo kits. I have two of these; I got rid of all my other shop lights - battery and AC:

Regards

NiCads were a poisonous, and blighted technology. They taught us the convenience of cordless tools, but I don't regret their passing. Maybe I should just dump the (quite nice) old hand drills. I can't even recycle the chucks!

OR....
Buy similarly sized cells, crack open the "battery", and start using the new technology.

The only thing I don't like about battery tools is if they don't work they are seemingly throw aways. No one around here will look at them. It's a shame to have a $300 unit that needs a $10 switch and have to throw it.

I bought the 60V Craftsman push mower, and it just died on me at about the third use. I bought it at end of season, so "third use" was about 6months. Called Craftsman, and they wanted all sorts of proof of purchase and stuff I didn't have. Screw 'em. I took it apart and there was a 1/4" faston tab that had burned off. Crimped another on, and made sure it was nice an tight. Been running like a champ ever since.

Their Li-Ion flashlights are great.
All three Li-ion shop lights of different brands that I use are truly AWESOME, can't be beat by any corded or gas powered one :)

Reactions: tjb
I bought the 60V Craftsman push mower, and it just died on me at about the third use. I bought it at end of season, so "third use" was about 6months. Called Craftsman, and they wanted all sorts of proof of purchase and stuff I didn't have. Screw 'em. I took it apart and there was a 1/4" faston tab that had burned off. Crimped another on, and made sure it was nice an tight. Been running like a champ ever since.
Good to know that they can be fixed. I dread the thought of making a claim on warranty.
What do you think of the cutting blade on your Craftsman?
The blade on my 21'' Greenworks is much lighter than the blades I have seen on gas mowers. I sure hope it lasts because finding a spare blade has been a challenge so far.

Good to know that they can be fixed. I dread the thought of making a claim on warranty.
What do you think of the cutting blade on your Craftsman?
The blade on my 21'' Greenworks is much lighter than the blades I have seen on gas mowers. I sure hope it lasts because finding a spare blade has been a challenge so far.

Seems to be a fairly decent blade, if not thicker than most. These things are actually really simple to repair. There is a battery, a motor, and a switch. A couple safety lockout to complicate things, but those are basically funny shaped switches. A few indicators for battery monitoring, but those can be torn off and the rest of the system won't know it. That's about it.

Terry, Thanks for your thoughts on the Dewalt. Most of my comparisons of battery powered tools to gas or corded tools have been like 'taking a knife to a gunfight'.

Yes, this isn't always obvious until you use them side by side. Cordless is great for a lot of things and they are very handy, but there are still places for corded, gas and air tools. I recently bought a Milwaukee corded drill because I was drilling holes in angle iron for a cart I was making. It is just their basic 3/8" drill too, not a heavy duty monster. Drilling steel with the corded drill made my Makita look like a toy.

The Makita is not out of work though, still my favorite handy drill and screw gun.

Back