Cordless tools, the next level

I have a makita 18v chainsaw. Takes 2 18v batteries and works well. You can probably do up to 8 " diameter tree trunks. The electric brake makes it much safer to use than other chain saws. With 3 amp batteries it will cut for about 30-40 minutes. Light and maneuverable in use.

Just curious as to why not Graham.
The Ryobi took a hell of a bashing, drilling 6mm holes into 6mm think RSJ beams, followed by either 10mm or 12mm widenings for the roof joist pins. It is a bit thrashed. The others have a variety of keyless tightening methods. Even if I took them off, I don't have anything else to use them on.

It's not in me to dump reasonably good motorized tools, but they take space, and haven't made a hole nor driven a screw in .. years.

Lot's of good information here. Keep it coming. My Li-Ion platform is totally DeWalt:

IMG_0001.JPG

(The collections actually a little bigger than that, now.) So I'm very curious about their chainsaws. Anybody out there ever even been in the same room with one?

Regards

Lot's of good information here. Keep it coming. My Li-Ion platform is totally DeWalt:

View attachment 344894

(The collections actually a little bigger than that, now.) So I'm very curious about their chainsaws. Anybody out there ever even been in the same room with one?

Regards
This is the biggest thing, select a system and stick with it so all your batteries work across tools you own. I standardized on Hitachi long ago and have been very happy with them.

Lawn and garden are greenworks.

John

This is the biggest thing, select a system and stick with it so all your batteries work across tools you own. I standardized on Hitachi long ago and have been very happy with them.

Lawn and garden are greenworks.

John
That's wise counsel. And I fully agree. Bet I end up with a DeWalt. Not because it's 'better', but in the grand scheme of things, unless there's something I don't yet know, because it makes more sense.

Regards,
Terry

As a side note... He also owns a Tesla Xd. I have rode in it and driven it. Super fast. Super techie. A lot of gee whiz stuff in their rivaling or exceeding what we had in the airplane. However, that 250 mile range is just something I cannot get past, especially if going on a trip and possibly traveling to areas where charging stations are few and far between. Also, the fit and finish, for an $80k car was, in my opinion, subpar. It seems like they went for a minimalist approach (or maybe European) but I find it lacking. The road noise is terrible too. My Ram Laramie is significantly quieter believe it or not.
I assure you that there is nothing European about "minimalist plastic finish". Just because Bang & Olufsen Hi-Fi kit pervades Sweden, and the Bauhaus style of art and design got popular, we can all still tell that an 80K car has to have a quality stitched leather interior, and a heraldic principles juxtaposition of colour with metal. Quality finish attention to detail to give pleasure from design is not their strong point.

The car was the twin-motor Tesla Model S with alleged range 400miles, though I expect the way we were going, we might have got 350m. Also, it was very quiet. My pal Mike has driven it all over Europe, letting it find it's way to charge points, even in Poland! There are supercharge points spreading over Russia.

I completely agree about the finish vs the technology, for the price, which is out of my league anyway. The monster battery had to be something special. The computer technology was just utterly impressive! Tesla has leather-phobia, and the relentless elimination of anything interesting and stylish in the interior, in deference to some green recycle fashion fad, was disappointing. If you want to see great finish quality, see the Jaguar I-Pace. Expect that Mercedes, BMW, etc. will be in the same league.

For most folk, 400m is enough to allay range anxiety. Beyond 500m, it should no longer be an issue. Of course, in UK, there will be no further sales of new cars using petrol or diesel after 2030.

[Edit - Agreed about standardizing where all tools can use the same batteries and charger is wisdom. I suppose, because of what I already have, I might go Makita].

Range is an issue, same with run time for battery tools. But it's getting better all the time....

Drove a Model S and I was impressed, of course my eyes were on the road, not the seats which are definitely comfortable ;)

Looking forward to riding a Zero soon, electric is definitely the future especially when MIT gets their fusion reactors online,

John

I wonder if there will ever be an industry standard established so that batteries of a given voltage become interchangeable across all brands?

I wonder if there will ever be an industry standard established so that batteries of a given voltage become interchangeable across all brands?
Doubtful

Back