Copying something precisely.

After measureing every which way im going to test run a peice for alignment of all four holes before making the finished part. Ive got 3/16s holes 0.07" off the edge and 0.10" off the front so from what i gather my x axis hole center is 0.19375 and y axis hole center is 0.16375 so where these two lines intersect, when i do layout, will be where i start my 3/16s hole. Unlesd im missing something.

Measure from inside edge to inside edge of the 2 holes being drilled then add the diameter of the holes to be drilled to that number and that will give you the exact center to center distance of the 2 holes. Then measure from the outside of the hole to edge of the part in 2 spots 90 degrees from eachother. This way the hole distance center-center and position of the 2 holes is the same as the part being re-produced. I used this method to remake pair of ball joint mounting plates. And both parts came out identical!

Does it normally help people to let them know you think somethings funny? Why even post anything?

Yes, praise always helps.

Also you appear to not get the joke, 0.00005 is 5 ten millionths of an inch, easily achieved by home hobby machinists I assume.

Back