Cool Machine Pics, Power Plant

One heck of a machine shop. Looks like the Radial drill doesn't get much use ,but that must be the job of a lifetime.

We had one almost identical in our R&D shop, they used it a lot. I never liked being around it while it operated.

Thanks for sharing this. the thing is they prob have things like this in several places around Ak, but it would cost more to get them out than it would to buy.
It is a shame that they do not get used much.

You say those machines are not used anymore. Yeah, right, wait until there is a shutdown with one of the generators/turbines. That entire shop will come alive! And every machine in there will get used! Like that portable lathe, I bet it gets moved around from power plant to plant as it is needed. Likewise with the balancing machine, too! Chevydyl, thanks for sharing, Ken

We have a 15' and 20' VTL in our shop, neither one has moved in the 2 years I have been there, the 2 10 footers see some use. We also have a lathe with a 72" Chuck, hasn't been turned on in years.

Those machines don't really look that disused.

Jason

Ken, when I say those machines don't get used anymore I mean it, they don't generate power anymore, new plants have taken over, it's just a backup now, with a I think 12 of the 65 crew members remaining. Their recent project was installing Modine heaters to heat the buildings now that the turbines are offline, the project was worth 500 grand

The main focus there is safety systems and keeping up to date on testing to keep insurance flatlined. They recently installed remote access so they no longer need the guy that used to this or that, they do it from an office 40 miles away. Sad

And no, nothing gets moved out from that place, it's in the middle of nowhere, no road access, only boat or plane

Do you know a friend with a barge that could move some equipment?
Might be able to get a good deal on some equipment Chevy. :D
I know if I lived up there, I'd be asking some questions and making some deals. Never hurts to ask and it don't cost anything unless they say, YES. :excitement:

Back