Cool Machine Pics, Power Plant

chevydyl

Active User
Registered
I toured a power plant near where I work, the Beluga Power Plant, owned by Chugach Electric. I toured the plant but really was only interested in the machine shop, here are some pictures of the machines, and a cool article that features some parts they machined at the plant, keep in mind this power plant is in the middle of nowhere, no road access, only boat, plane or snowmachine access. I didn't really find a good place to share this, move if needed.
heres a link to the article
the vertical boring machine is/was the largest in the state. all the machines have the original hand scraped finish, just beautiful, the one picture is of a rotor balancer, look at that fine pitch lead screw...
and a giant face mill on the universal mill.

balancer1.jpg balancer3.jpg balancer5.jpg facemill.jpg grinder.jpg horiz.jpg lathe2.jpg balancer.jpg balancer2.jpg balancer4.jpg gl.jpg haas.jpg lathe1.jpg lathe3.jpg radial.jpg

One heck of a machine shop. Looks like the Radial drill doesn't get much use ,but that must be the job of a lifetime.

Where I took my apprenticeship, they had a radial drill almost like that one, same size, anyway. It may have had a longer arm. I remember trying to drill a 1 3/4 hole with it, couldn't lock the head/arm and it kept wobbling. Even at low RPM it was scary

These are the machines I worked with regularly . Only our boring mill had a bigger table 12' dia, my lathe was even bigger. Seemed like the big stuff was easier for me to machine. God I miss that job ,. great place to work . Our roof had an added extra building to house the top of the boring mill.

Sadly none of that stuff gets used anymore, not for years

Chevy,

Thanks for sharing those pictures.

That one lathe chuck looks bigger than the wheels on the grader.....wow!

I would sure like to poke around that shop for a couple hours.
-brino

had those big boys back in my jet days

Chevy,
I am surprised you didn't talk them out of one of those lathe's since they are not being used anymore.
I wouldn't mind having one of the smaller ones, especially the one that looks like a 20". :D

Back