Considering purchasing Myford Super-7 - would you buy one of those?

I should have said "welcome" before....

Look around and you will find plenty of others who have been through what you're going through now. Just know if this isn't the one there are others out there for you.

One thing, if you have to travel it might be better going to a place where you can check out a few machines and pick the best one.

John

Is this machine worth considering? I want it for home/auto use - not for any high precision work; but something better than all the Chinese machines that have flooded our market.

Tell me...
This YouTube creator (a Brit, BTW) owns a Myford7 and has done a number of very good videos showing its capabilities. Might be worth a look. Also he seems like the kind of guy who would help you out if you contact him directly.
Just a FWIW

If you need to go a long way then try to make sure the seller won't sell it to someone else before you get there. Some sellers are very good about this and some couldn't be worse. They'll let you get almost there and then call to tell you it's sold. Or pretend they didn't know you were coming that day.
I think 14 hours is too far, personally. But it's your decision
-M

Waiting for a good machine to show up close by is a game for the young with lots of time. Talk to the seller and if you don't feel warm and fuzzy run. If he seems like a stand up guy and will give you numbers that make sense, accuracy over a length, backlash, feel for wear in screws, etc. A good guy will tell you numbers, a bad guy will tell you " everything is perfect". I've bought over 50 used machines and at least half were sight unseen. If it feels right, take a reasonable risk. I like English machines so I'm biased. they are over complicated but usually well engineered. Dave

This may be a mute point, anyway - the kid that's hosting the ad for his dad is a flake and he stopped responding. So since I'm unable to talk to the reasonable adult - this may be over already. Dang it...

Surprising how often that happens with decent machines. there is always another machine so good luck. Dave

I wouldn't worry about it. I pretty much never engage with an ad that says "selling for my relative". This pretty much means they're giving you an excuse right at the start, which enables them to play dumb about any and all problems with what they're selling. The odds of developing any rapport are out the window too. May as well forget about price negotiation also. The kid probably flaked because you were being a diligent, careful prospective buyer. He just wants someone to hand him some money and take it. I think you're better off. Of course if it was a 25 minute drive to see it, then ignore everything I wrote. Go see it at least. But sight unseen? No way.

You can get scammed if you don't go pick it up. A friend of mine bought a Bridgeport from a guy selling it for his son. Had to send the guy a cashiers check, paid to have it skidded and shipped from Maine to Missouri. When it came, it wasn't the machine in the photo's and several parts were missing. YOU CAN'T trust anyone anymore. The Father was a well know guy on Practical Machinist too. They refused to send any money back. My friend hooked it up and turned it on and the spindle made a heck of a noise. He removed the quil and spindle and discovered the bearings were installed backwards and the retaining nut was loose. I see scams all the time on Market Place and Craig's list. It might cost you a $400.00 airplane ticket or a 1000 mile drive, but it could save you $4000.00 and being ticked off for years, kicking yourself for believing in some stranger. Times are not the same anymore. You have to think it's a scam and prove it isn't.

I believe Burt Munro used his Myford 7 while building his Indians.
This says a lot about the lathe & The Man.
I believe (I could be wrong but I don’t think so) some of his records still stand at Bonneville.

Last edited:
Back