Considering purchasing Myford Super-7 - would you buy one of those?

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for a good machine for my garage/workshop at home. I came across one of those on Facebook - doing a bit of research it looks like well engineered machine made in England. The one I'm after seems clean and well kept. Assuming it's ways and lead screw are in good shape (which from the pics so far they seem to be), the $1800 they are asking for it (it was $1500 just two days ago... :) seems to be fair, from what I've been seeing locally here.

Should I be concerned about parts for this English made machine? This is the first MyFord I've seen in about 4 months of looking - so just based on that they don't seem to be very common.

Is this machine worth considering? I want it for home/auto use - not for any high precision work; but something better than all the Chinese machines that have flooded our market.

Tell me...

Myford is still in business, and sells both new and refurbished machines.

I've never seen one in person but probably in a similar class to the South Bend 9" lathes. Definitely several steps above a small Chinese lathe or Taiwanese lathe. Like the South Bend lathes they came in several versions from bare bones change gear lathes to the high end versions with power cross feed and a quick change gear box.

Just to give you an idea of what it might be worth, a basic factory refurbished Myford 7 sells for about $4000, with a quick change gear box, stand and power cross feed, the price goes up to $7900. A brand new Myford Super 7 Connoisseur (top of the line with all the options) runs about $15,000. This is buying direct from Myford, not what they sell for on the used market. They don't seem to be very common in the US but $1500-2000 seems like a reasonable price if in good condition, particularly if it is one of the versions with a QCGB.

https://www.myford.co.uk/

Only thing to consider is, is it big enough for the kind of work you want to do. It is basically a very high end hobbyists lathe so on the small side.

Last edited:
Hell yes, it's a great lathe, but make sure it doesn't have any serious issues like major cracks in castings or bad spindle bearings (although they can be replaced)
-M

I'm very encouraged by these comments above. The big thing is that I'm in Denver, and the machine is in Great Falls, Montana - so I'll be buying it remotely without seeing it in person..... (most likely, 'cause they are like 14hrs away).

We had a Myford dealer here in town up until the early 80’s or so. Nice machines. Typically one in good to excellent shape will list on our used market for between $3000 and $5000. A new-in-crate came up for $6000 a few years ago but I don’t know whether it actually brought that in the end.

-frank

I wouldn't buy a lathe sight unseen, especially at normal retail. Too many potentially expensive issues that you can't see only in pictures. Maybe ask if there's anyone nearby (though nearby in Montana = ?!?) to check it out for you.

I wouldn't fixate on Myfords. Plenty of good lathes out there that size or a bit bigger that will work just as well if not better.

It's painful going.... I'm dealing with a Kid on Facebook who's selling it for his father... and so far his answers have been slow at best - they are serious about selling it, even to out of towners... I asked. He's just as speedy as molasses with his replies...

Back