Concrete Counter Tops

Franz probably lots of ways you could level the surface and expose the aggregate. The first one I did was poured and machined in place so I had to use a hand tool. The diamond wheel on an angle grinder seamed like a good idea, it just evolved to running the wheel on tracks where I could let the machine give me a flat surface. The terrazzo grinder (never really looked at them till now) is more for large already flat surfaces. Don't know how it would handle the corners or thin sections around the sink hole.
Vibrating the whole form would great if it could be done. Would the methods you mentioned work with a thin pour laying flat on the concrete floor?

Greg

Franz, sounds like an interesting process to vibrate the forms. There's no doubt it would produce a superior product, but beyond my capabilities and recourses. Would need to get into production to justify building a setup like that and my attention deficit disorder would never allow that.
A set of these every few years is more than enough.

Greg

What about vacuum bagging it?
Wouldn't drawing the air out be enough to remove the voids?
Just a thought that I just came up with without giving it much thought first.

Howdy, Franz©

Made a little more headway on the grinder.
Thought I'd trough up a few shots for the machining setups, let me know if they're of any interest.

Using a 2 3/8 hole saw to cope the end of the tube to match the OD of the 2 inch shed 80 pipe that houses the spindle cartridge.

IMG_0849.jpg

Rough turned the sleeve in the lathe and welded it.
Here the arm is squared up and levelled in the mill, now finding the centre of the bore.

IMG_0850.jpg

Used a boring head to machine the bore to accept the cartridge. Now the bore is perpendicular to the arm.

IMG_0851.jpg

Milled a slot in the side to lock the spindle, this will allow height adjustment.

IMG_0852.jpg

Rough mock up with motor in place.

IMG_0853.jpg

Greg

IMG_0849.jpg IMG_0850.jpg IMG_0851.jpg IMG_0852.jpg IMG_0853.jpg

Yup, keep 'em comin' Greg. That is going to be one sweet machine once you are finished.

Not much to show for a days work but think I have the parts for the frame made.
Sorry for the photo quality, sometimes the phone doesn't like the florescent lights.

IMG_0855.jpg

For the recycling folks like myself no new material was injured in the production of this tool.

Should have it assembled tomorrow and made even wired.

Greg

IMG_0855.jpg

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply and the breakdown on the bandsaw. There is nothing so sweet as making a great machine out of surplus/scrounged parts - and saving several thousand $ in the process. When I worked as an operator for Ontario Hydro I was stationed at Chenaux for a few years and got to know the Madawaska plants. Later I dispatched them from the control centre in Toronto. I Know Calabogie G.S. but where was Camel Chute?
Michael

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply. There is nothing so sweet as making a first class machine out of scrap/scrounged parts - and thinking of the thousands of dollars surviving in your bank account due to DIY. Where was Camel Chute? I wonder how it got its name - not many camels around here. I worked as on operator at Chenaux in the 70's and got to know the Madawaska plants. I later got to dispatch their generation from out control centre in Toronto. You have a great shop and I hope the concrete surface grinder works out.
Michael

Michael, more like where was Camel Chute, its now under the head pond behind Mountain Chute GS, but it does show up some times in the early spring when the lake level is low. Its was a few miles down stream from Grifith.
Thanks on the mill, was a fun project and sure is nice to be able to saw my own lumber when needed.
Recently was offered some Hemlock logs that the mills didn't want. They turned out to be a blacksmith shop in kit form, some assembly required.
From this,
IMG_0731.jpg

To this,
IMG_0732.jpg

To these,
IMG_0768.jpg

To this,

IMG_0775.jpg

To here,

IMG_0802.jpg

Still need to saw some pine for the siding.

Also made a shingle cutting attachment for the mill to saw the shingles that are on the shop.

IMG_0159.jpg

It holds four blocks at a time, only have two in it here, a small crank rotates the holders back and forth to cut the taper in the shingles.

Greg

IMG_0731.jpg IMG_0732.jpg IMG_0768.jpg IMG_0775.jpg IMG_0802.jpg IMG_0159.jpg

Back