Compressor exploded

If you go out to Compressor world and want to order a tank. They give some choices on coatings. You can get it powder coated (Interior, Exterior or both), you can get it Galvanized (interior and exterior) Both options are expensive with galvanizing 1/3 MORE than the cost of the tank. Anyone have opinions on if either treatment is worth the significant extra cost?

Any coating on the inside should be an increase in tank life. the best coating in the world does not save you from having to drain the water.

I think the galvanizing would be better, But they cannot galvanize, or powder coat the threads for the drain valve, so there will always be a place for rust to start. Thats why I add some oil to the line going into the tank every month or so. Except maybe for tires, there is nothing that I use the air for that the oil will hurt.

The coolest setup I have seen, and what I will someday copy. A truck maintenance shop in Pa, had two compressors, each fed into its own 15 or so gal tank, which then fed into a large 50 gal tank. Had a setup so that each compressor alternated which one started each time, and if the air dropped enough, both kicked in. From each compressor to the small tank, was over 10 feet or so of pipe, which he had wire wrapped around, to help it shed off some heat. most of the moisture settled out in the pipe, and small tanks.

I found a piston compressor for my friend at a garage sale for $10, running. before we used it, I made sure we checked the tank for corrosion and condition - it turns out it hasn't been run hardly at all, so was in like new3 condition. It is a 1968 piston compressor, and now that we've checked it out, it runs like a top.

- IF YOU BUY USED, ALWAYS DO A THOROUGH CHECK OF THE TANK!

I finally found out that the guys tank who exploded is OK, he got very lucky. Six inch gash in his arm about an inch deep, missed all of the arteries, bone, and ligaments. He does have some hearing damage. He was bent over the compressor plugging in a hose when it went. Sounds like he had put a new speed aire pump on two years ago. About a month ago he looked into a new tank and decided against it. (Bad decision) Apparently it did have a pinhole leak due to rust that would “come and go”.

The thing that surprises me the most is the catastrophic failure of the metal. The area along the burst line looks like uniform thickness. Almost makes me think the pressure shut off switch malfunctioned.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe Father’s Day weekend!

Ryan

A few things that I see that would be great to get a better look. * The failure is an inch or two from the drain valve. Was the vavlve at the lowest point on the tank? or has there always been an inch or so of water left inside the tank. I do not see where the failure began. so both could just be side issues. *Looks like two metal straps were installed around the tank. What is their purpose? My first impression is they were installed as abn attempt to keep a rusting tank in use? * where are the wheels, or feet? The tank looks to have lots of rust/ water on the inside what is now the bottom.

I hope no one takes this as poking fingers, that is not my intention. Just trying to learn, and help others learn. Any compressed gas is noi\t any thing to mess wiyh.

And how many of us see these 40 /50 year old compressors for sale and think , wow what a great deal.
If you want to use an old TANK, it makes sense to pressure-test regularly (fill with WATER for the test, so
there's no stored energy if it breaks). The compressor isn't what failed, the tank did.

With regular presure-tests, the 2kpsi bottles for compressed gasses can last a LONG time, and they stay safe.

I know many of us here have tons of respect for Tubalcain(Mr. Pete) any enjoy watching his videos, here the one I remember watching that made realize how important it is to make a habit of emptying the tank daily, of course it's easy when the compressor tank is small :)

Back