Compressor exploded

I see a fair few aluminium tanks for sale on new compressors here in Oz.

Aluminum may be better for corrosion, but it has no lower fatigue limit like steel does, which is to say, every time the compressor cycles you are removing fatigue life from the tank. It will eventually fatigue out and fail, probably catastrophically. I suspect that they have taken that into account by ensuring that the life of the compressor is short enough not to get to that point, or they plan to be out of business before they start failing, either way there's no problem for the manufacturer.

Both steel and aluminum have an elastic range that will allow movement without appreciable stress fracturing. In aluminum it is much lower than steel. By designing it correctly and aluminum tank can last as long as steel. Now for the design of consumer products... well, just don't get me started...

I'm getting scared for y'all with these home hydrostatic tests with no means of pressure measurement or control. At least fill the tank with water and immerse it in a bath (or horse trough or swimming pool) when you put the pressure to it. That way if it blows up, er, fails, it'll just go flub and that's it.

I'm getting scared for y'all with these home hydrostatic tests with no means of pressure measurement or control. At least fill the tank with water and immerse it in a bath (or horse trough or swimming pool) when you put the pressure to it. That way if it blows up, er, fails, it'll just go flub and that's it.

Not trying to make light of your concern. Just trying to address it.
The very definition of hydro static test is to fill it with water. I did not see anyone post about not using a gauge for measurement.
If you put the tank being tested into a bigger tank of water, how do you spot a leak that is not a catastrophic failure? If the tank is full of water it will not fail spectacularly.

I worked for a company that made industrial sized heat exchangers. Every one was hydrostatically tested. They just filled them with water and then used high pressure air to apply the test pressure. The very small amount of compressible air was not enough to be dangerous if the pressure vessel failed. They did this several times a week in the middle of the shop floor.

Back